Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: If Weber Produced SS Performers again...  (Read 2375 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
If Weber Produced SS Performers again...
« on: March 24, 2016, 03:00:51 AM »
If Weber Produced SS Performers again the same way they they used to build them and sold them for the same price as a similarly equipped 2015 performer, which would you buy?

I feel like that design was so classic.

Photos from Flickr-

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: If Weber Produced SS Performers again...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 03:11:41 AM »
Bring back the Gen2 with the newer metal table and I am happy.  I actually have it so I am happy.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 03:54:21 AM »
I own a '92 and have used a '05 at my dad's place. I honestly don't know what I'd do. Both are flawed. What follows isn't a rant, but observations culled from using my favorite grill.

I've often wondered if the lid should tilt back a la the Platinum One-Touch to give more working space away from the lid but that's not a big deal. With the '15 models that tilt back further it's better.

The office chair wheels continue to be a functional joke.

I don't like that the post-'04 models lack dedicated handles for moving it around, nor do I like that the controls are on the front, where you have to lean or stoop down to get at them. Also not a fan of the smaller tool hooks that make you unconsciously *think* about where the hook is. None of those are deal breakers of course, but rather, things that make you wonder why they aren't better.

I use mine a lot and love that I only have to refill the tank once/twice a season and that I can immediately use a 20lb in a pinch.

I've tried both but still don't really like the charcoal bins, because it's extra work to scoop out charcoal, over and over again, whereas a bag or separate container already allows easy pouring into the chimney. I'd prefer front shelves and move the tank to the BACK. Maybe if Weber introduced a clever "pooper scooper" type of gadget for it that'd be neat. I've tried Weber's ash scoop, cut-down milk jugs, feed scoopers ... you're always fighting gravity however.

The '05 and newer table height is a clear winner and the latest metal table is the best overall. Both are one-piece and so, larger than the SS and that's also an advantage.

The SS Performers make non-owners jealous, so that's also a plus. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 04:19:06 AM »
Love these first hand observations.   Things I'd never think of.  Thanks
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 05:58:52 AM »
I've tried both but still don't really like the charcoal bins, because it's extra work to scoop out charcoal, over and over again, whereas a bag or separate container already allows easy pouring into the chimney. I'd prefer front shelves and move the tank to the BACK. Maybe if Weber introduced a clever "pooper scooper" type of gadget for it that'd be neat. I've tried Weber's ash scoop, cut-down milk jugs, feed scoopers ... you're always fighting gravity however."

I don't store Charcoal in the bin.  That's where I hide the wood chunks, chimney starter and smaller items my wife doesn't know I bought.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 06:04:26 AM »
I just put the bag of charcoal in the bin. Keeps it dry and ready to pour .

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 07:09:25 AM »
I love my SS Performer.  Don't have any other models.  I would love it weber came out with a new SS.  I love being able to clean my table with steel wool if it gets really dirty.  I would think if Weber redid a SS model it would have the lid bail like newer ones do where the lid is more open.  I am not a tall guy so I love the lower table (and grill) in the SS performers, but don't see why they couldn't make all four legs adjustable with a telescoping option....would also be nice for leveling the grill if you are on a bit of a slope for some reason.  I also use my bin as others do for stuff other than charcoal.  I initially used it for charcoal but did find it hard to scoop out.  As I was reading through this post however, I came the the realization that it is very easy to pull the bin out to dump coals into the grill or a chimney.  As far as I know that would be a lot more difficult in the newer tilting bin models, but is totally an option with the old SS performers.  I would also like to see the bottom rack of the SS performer made into a more of a basket so that it sits a little lower and gives a little more storage space.  Theres no reason the lower frame or rack can't be moved down to just barely above the axle. One last mod would be to extend the top frame tubes on the right side out and put a small SS table on the right, similar to the smaller table peice just to the left of the grill.  It would be great for us lefties to have a place over there to place utensils during a cook!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 07:11:10 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 02:50:43 PM »
I like my 15 CB but the table is staining after not even owning it for a year. Had some porcelain cracking on the lid as well, Weber took care of the lid quickly but I feel like those ss performers probably hold up better long term

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk