Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Side Table Mods  (Read 3967 times)

S!LVER

• Smokey Joe
Side Table Mods
« on: March 15, 2016, 07:19:29 AM »
Hello Everyone

Newbie here from Ontario.

First real post.  First the site seems to be full of great info and people willing to help other people out.  I decided to not just lurk but to join and contribute. 

So I just bought my first kettle, I got a great deal on a master touch and couldn't pass it by.   

One thing I notice right away while cooking was how nice it would be to have just a small little table next to the grill.  I have seen some amazing tables and karts made up for these kettles but was wondering if anyone has done a side table mod.  One of the things I love about the kettle on three legs is how movable it is.  I wouldn't want to take this away and while a full performer delux size table would be great I just don't have the space for it.  I was thinking of something more the size of the basic performer 22.

I saw somewhere that Weber once made a little side table accessory I think it was called the kettle mate.  I have looked for one of these but they no longer make them, so baring I don't find on on Kijiji I am going to have to make something. 

So what have you guys seen? 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Side Table Mods
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 08:01:51 AM »
I think what you wanted to buy was a Performer Silver. Small, shorty table, everything rolls and has the major MasterTouch features: http://www.amazon.com/Weber-15301001-Performer-Charcoal-22-Inch/dp/B00N634TV4

Most others will be as long as a Performer's table ... the recently discontinued Weber 7413 might be of interest if you can find one. Skip the 7412 (it's rare, anyway). That was for the smaller 18.5" only.

The Weber 1800 is even older but again, these also sometimes have popped up recently. And there's another old Weber table but it's longer.

There was also the Weber 17110, might find that overseas. Intended for the WSM and looks more like an IKEA hack. I like this idea, too: http://www.lindens.nu/projects/table/en.htm
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 08:33:34 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke That lindens mod is pretty slick.  I'm so envious of people that feel comfortable around tools and can whip this kind of project up in an hour and make it look so purty.

I fear my version would look like absolute crap.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 08:44:48 AM »
I know what you mean "1/2 hour with a beer on a warm evening." OK, I'd be half a day and then get impatient with the sanding, or something else.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

S!LVER

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 09:15:07 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I agree that lindens mod does look pretty great.  I would have like to have got a performer silver but they would have had to order it in where I live and they gave me almost a hundred off on my MT so it was hard to say no. 

I might try my hands at something like the lindens mod.  If I do Ill post pics.  In that mod is the threaded rod just sitting in the pipe clamp nut hole? 

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 09:31:01 AM »
If you don't feel like a project, a easy solution would be a work cart from Harbor Freight and flip the tray over so it becomes a table. Here's a pic where someone attached it to their Green Mountain Grill, but I'm only posting the pic so you can see the cart with the tray flipped to become a table. It black as well so it would already match the color of your grill. It's probably bigger than what you're looking for though.

S!LVER

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 09:45:07 AM »
That is a smart simple solution.  We don't have harbor fright here in canada but we have princess auto which is very similar.  I should swing by there and see what I can get and maybe modify. 

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 12:38:30 PM »
I have one of these Weber tables.  Kinda small, I think, but they work great with my 18".
I picked it up as part of a rescue.  They go for about $50-60 new.

I fabricated tables a couple years back.  Good size, and are very handy.  Here is a thread.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/fabricated-a-handy-side-table/

Good luck with whatever you decide on.  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 02:33:28 PM »
I have one of these Weber tables.  Kinda small, I think, but they work great with my 18".
I picked it up as part of a rescue.  They go for about $50-60 new.

I fabricated tables a couple years back.  Good size, and are very handy.  Here is a thread.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/fabricated-a-handy-side-table/

Good luck with whatever you decide on.  :D

I just looked, and on Amazon it says that this product has been discontinued by Weber.  What a shame because it was a great solution and, with a little effort, will even fit my 26er

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 07:17:23 PM »
I'm not real creative or handy. This was $12 and lasted the winter, with no protection.

Still need a 22” yellow