Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Texas Spare Ribs  (Read 1158 times)

chuck s

• WKC Brave
Texas Spare Ribs
« on: March 12, 2016, 04:33:33 AM »
Was on the phone with @addicted-to-smoke and mentioned I was gonna do a smoke.  He harassed me because I have not been posting my experiments ..... so here goes.  Not really sure what this was other than awesome!!   ;D

found this in the market under the title of Texas Spare Ribs.   It is a medium roast with a thin "back-bode" running down the back side.   I really should have taken a pick of that.  Here it is after marinade and stuffed.  It is "sitting" on the back-bone here.   

We did a Jack Daniels Sweet Teriyaki marinade overnight. Then stuffed it with Jimmy Dean ground sausage that was sauteed with onions, tied up with bands and single wrap of thin bacon - I thought about a bacon weave but Mrs. Chuck_S thought it would be just too much.  I think she was right.  Yet once again.... ;)

Also did a side of "Crispy Root Vegetable Roast"   This consisted of russet potatoes, Sweets, rutabagas, and turnips.  These were peeled and cut thin. 

We "stuffed" with garlic, covered with melted butter and then sprinkled with Kosher salt, ground black pepper, and thyme. 

Pork went on the WSM for low & slow @ 220 for what turned out to be 4 hours.
"Root Roast" went in the oven @ 400 for 1.5 hours. 

End results

left overs....

I was concerned it might be dry but it really wasn't - it is pork so there is that but wrapping in bacon and stuffing with the sausage/onions did the trick.  We had a sauce dish of Ponzu sauce just in case and it was a nice add but really not needed. 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Texas Spare Ribs
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 05:45:28 AM »
I was beginning to wonder if you remembered what the WSM was used for. I mean besides being a really nice prop.

Wow, never seen that cut of meat before. Explains why you keep all the fun stuff for when I'm not around.

:)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 11:04:44 AM »
I've never seem that cut either. Really nice cook!

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 11:29:21 AM »
I've never seem that cut either. Really nice cook!

@austin87 / @addicted-to-smoke - if you look at the pic below you can see the vertebrate type bone on the bottom back of the half on the left side of pic

I was gonna try to cut out the bone but really couldn't get a bead on it so I left it in.   When I did the cuts, the bones just sorta snapped so there was no need to cut them - just eat around them !!    ;D

BTW - I did the smoke with pecan -

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 02:36:46 PM »
 Great looking meal , the root skillet is a great idea .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs