Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle temp question  (Read 1494 times)

Heatseeker

• Smokey Joe
Kettle temp question
« on: March 13, 2016, 01:41:48 AM »
If you use a barrier between the direct and indirect side you would have to run the cooker really hot to get a temp of 350 on the indirect side. Is that correct?

Heatseeker

• Smokey Joe
Re: Kettle temp question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 01:49:18 AM »
From my first cook experience, I would have to run the kettle at 550 dome temp to be at 350 on the indirect side and at that rate the briquettes burn up quick

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Kettle temp question
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 05:03:23 AM »
Good question, but I've never had to worry about it since the only barrier I ever use is the sides of my baskets. In case you wonder, these leg quarters weren't rotated around and the ones closest to the coals didn't really cook any faster than the ones farthest from the fire. This is one of the best thing about a kettle: how the heat radiates around to the other side. The last ones to get done will be the ones in the middle of the indirect side, so that's where you put the smaller ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 05:07:44 AM by kettlecook »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 08:12:12 AM »
Yeah, dont believe those dome thermometers bud. They'll lie to ya! At the same time I dont get to picky about exact temps. Low, med, med-high, high. I use the thermometer and my hand to judge it. After a few times, you learn how she likes to run. Those quarters look delish btw kettlecook! Happy grilling!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 09:32:26 AM »
1/2 of a weber regular chimney poured over about 1/3 of the charcoal grate and pushed up against the edge of the kettle should have you in the 350 range on the indirect side for about an hour. Bottom and top vents should be wide open.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 12:57:36 PM »
Do not over-think cooking on a Weber kettle.  All great advice above.
It will all become second nature to you soon enough.  Keep at it, and enjoy.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.