Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How did this happen- opinions on the Gourmet grate wanted  (Read 2046 times)

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
How did this happen- opinions on the Gourmet grate wanted
« on: February 23, 2013, 05:13:36 PM »
I know how it happened, I looked at the pics of Ken Mcs new lime C&B Performer and now I've got a little voice in the back if my head saying " you know your new red head would look sharp with one of those grates in it, then you could add the sear grate and wok later"  ::) Oh well I guess there are worse addictions. Anybody feel like talking me down ? hah!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How did this happen- opinions on the Gourmet grate wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 05:22:27 PM »
Really, man....you don't need it, you've already got enough stuff.....just put it off until good used ones start happening............

^^^^^ That sounds really stupid & hollow when you say it out loud..... ::)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 05:37:14 PM »
I was thinking the same thing after I saw it. :-[

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 05:39:10 PM »
I'm underwhelmed with the "Gourmet system." The CI grate looks too small and the spacing is too wide. My go to CI addition is the grate from my Silver A. It is actualy a grate that was left behind by a previous owner when we moved in in '87. For a rectangular grate, it's a perfect fit for a 22.5 kettle.

There is even barely enough space to open the hinged portions of the grate. It gives me a lot more space than what the GS insert provides. This grate is also about 3/4" tall - the bars are taller than wide. And they cover about half of the surface. Small stuff like veggies are much less likely to fall through. The only down side is that it moves the grate surface about 3/4" further away from the coals. I can compensate for that by lighting more coals.

Another alternative is the Lodge Sportsman's Grill. The grate for that is similarly closely spaced and can be used on a kettle. Here it is in service on my 26.

Were I to desire something like a wok, I'd be looking at the plow disks that are adapted for this.
kettles, smokers...

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 05:58:24 PM »
Thanks Hank I needed that, I think the fever will pass. I saw a Lodge cast iron wok today and it got me to thinking. The Char Broil cast iron grate has the center 18.5 section that lifts out and a round bottomed wok would drop right in there just like the Gourmet one does in it. The advantage being the Char Broils hole is bigger and so could hold a larger size wok I think. 

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 06:03:34 PM »
Dammit they're on sale, 56.07 on Amazon, why did I look??

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 06:12:32 PM »
Here's a related review from Cook's Illustrated.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/overview.asp?docid=31401

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 06:52:01 PM »
dude just get the stok one from homedepot.com

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 07:02:36 PM »
I picked up one of these grates a couple of weeks ago, they are very nice. The older 18" ss Weber wok fits perfectly.

See...

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:28:42 PM by Chad A »