Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anyhone heard a rumor....  (Read 105529 times)

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
Re: Has anyhone heard a rumor....
« Reply #435 on: April 06, 2016, 08:54:49 AM »

I actually think the price will have a factor, if they are going to take on the Kamado market with this thing I think they should have offered $1500 features @ $800 price point

If they were trying to sell it to our end of the market, thats exactly what they would have done.  They're not, though.  They see big profit margins on these grills when they're priced to compete with the BGE/KJ.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #436 on: April 06, 2016, 08:58:34 AM »

I actually think the price will have a factor, if they are going to take on the Kamado market with this thing I think they should have offered $1500 features @ $800 price point

If they were trying to sell it to our end of the market, thats exactly what they would have done.  They're not, though.  They see big profit margins on these grills when they're priced to compete with the BGE/KJ.

Well, as I said before the amount of 1% ers has increased greatly in the past 20 or so years so there are more uber wealthy people to market this too.

I am going to stop being so critical, it looks nice.  Although I wonder how many in the market they are looking for (those who might have the cash for a summit gasser) will want to "mess" with charcoal.

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #437 on: April 06, 2016, 09:04:37 AM »
After seeing pictures and reading amazing ribs review the only thing I see as interesting to me is the double walled lid and bowl. Again that is just my personal opinion.
I can buy a new performer for $400. If the only real advantage I see is the double insulation I cannot justify the $1500+ price tag.

I am very interested to see how the  double insulated walls compare to a big green egg. The Big Green Egg walls seem thicker but I have not been able to see these new cookers in person.

If they are going for a high end market why did they leave the old charcoal leg sockets on the grill? Unless they plan on making a cheaper version in the future with the old legs that is really goofy.
Hotty Toddy!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #438 on: April 06, 2016, 09:06:02 AM »
Great discussion! I really like Troy's car analogy. I'm having trouble pinning down what this thing would be if it were a car. CTS-V? GS-F? Equus? Probably not an S-Class, 7-Series, Porsche, or Ferrari. :)

Let's not forget that the current charcoal offerings provide amazing value and those should be around for a very long time. I think there are many of us here that ARE in the target market. Our members are diverse but all enjoy some aspects of the Weber product line. We are all Weber enthusiasts, after all!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 09:08:14 AM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #439 on: April 06, 2016, 09:07:09 AM »
Although I wonder how many in the market they are looking for (those who might have the cash for a summit gasser) will want to "mess" with charcoal.

Quite a few, actually.  I read this earlier today, can't remember where (maybe here?) and I was a little surprised: Charcoal Grills are the fastest growing segment of the grill market right now. 46% Growth iirc?

I think the key is going to break down to the status symbol:  Is someone who is willing to spend $2k on a grill going to see "elite status" in the Weber name?  If not, they won't buy it. 

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #440 on: April 06, 2016, 09:09:42 AM »
Guess Another Pint Please was behind all those teaser shots:

http://www.anotherpintplease.com/home/2016/4/the-weber-summit-charcoal-grill
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #441 on: April 06, 2016, 09:11:10 AM »
"Status" is spending $$ on vintage kettles for a shiny collection. Just because somebody might have $2K to spend on a charcoal kettle let's not please assume they don't know value, whaddya all say?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #442 on: April 06, 2016, 09:11:49 AM »
I have been on plenty of Kamado sites, they are not all doctors and lawyers, I'm not going to devalue myself.  These kinds of things are what people get into, high end stereo's, military collectables, RC airplanes, they are all expensive hobbies, and for the most part normal everyday people collect it.  There are plenty of people here on this site that have spent lots and lots of money of the very kettles we all own.  I'm not going to sit and think these are for the uber wealthy....from what I have seen this grill is the price of two yellow kettles....let's calm down a little.  It's an awesome grill for a different market.  I don't know why people get mad when a huge company in a capitalist market makes money?  Of course they want to make money, also from working at one of these large companies nothing is done without tons and tons of research.  They have researched and targeted a market, and why not, Weber is number one name in grilling, I bet they do awesome with the best product, I would buy this before an egg.....and I bet lots of people in this market will too

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #443 on: April 06, 2016, 09:12:38 AM »
Guess Another Pint Please was behind all those teaser shots:

http://www.anotherpintplease.com/home/2016/4/the-weber-summit-charcoal-grill

@AnotherPintPlease oh yeah? Nice work, as always Mike!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #444 on: April 06, 2016, 09:17:43 AM »
I'd get one if I had the money. And I also don't expect Weber to specifically target me. I want color, color, color. Wish they would make this in blue.  Another Weber product to add to the wish list.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #445 on: April 06, 2016, 09:23:33 AM »
Id like to see how the innovations on this grill apply to the grills in the future.

They put leg sockets on an odd sized kettle that dont use the sockets, and the sockets have a hole in them they never had before.

Maybe this grill uses the 26" kettle with a insert to make it double walled.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #446 on: April 06, 2016, 09:24:11 AM »
"Status" is spending $$ on vintage kettles for a shiny collection. Just because somebody might have $2K to spend on a charcoal kettle let's not please assume they don't know value, whaddya all say?

I have been on plenty of Kamado sites, they are not all doctors and lawyers, I'm not going to devalue myself.  These kinds of things are what people get into, high end stereo's, military collectables, RC airplanes, they are all expensive hobbies, and for the most part normal everyday people collect it.  There are plenty of people here on this site that have spent lots and lots of money of the very kettles we all own.  I'm not going to sit and think these are for the uber wealthy....from what I have seen this grill is the price of two yellow kettles....let's calm down a little.  It's an awesome grill for a different market.  I don't know why people get mad when a huge company in a capitalist market makes money?  Of course they want to make money, also from working at one of these large companies nothing is done without tons and tons of research.  They have researched and targeted a market, and why not, Weber is number one name in grilling, I bet they do awesome with the best product, I would buy this before an egg.....and I bet lots of people in this market will too

I think both of you are misunderstanding what I mean.  No question, not everyone who enjoys high end hobbies is only a doctor or lawyer.  I was not trying to be absolute in my comments.  But @zavod44 you hit the mark on what I am driving at.  Weber did a lot of research on where to position this product.  They didn't do this on a whim or because some product dev guy lost a bet.  You're right, there are plenty of enthusiasts (purists?) who will want to buy this product.  But for every one of those, there are 4-5+ who have disposable income and will only be buying it because it is expensive, wouldn't you agree?

I'm not mad, I'm fascinated by this product.  I do hope it does well, and like the BGE, after it has been out for a couple of years, they introduce a "basic" model that is closer to the $1k mark.

Hybridtwin77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #447 on: April 06, 2016, 09:31:02 AM »
I would buy this before an egg.....

Agreed.  It is quite a nice grill and I will bet it holds temperatures very nicely.  However, it's also quite fancy and to me fancy means more gadgetry to clean and fail and replace.  One of the major reasons I came back to charcoal and the kettle was simplicity.  In my view the kettle simply out performs in bang for your buck.  This Summit is pretty to look at though and like many of you have said earlier, when we can find one in a garage sale or what not for MUCH cheaper I will probably purchase.  More color choices would be spectacular.

They put leg sockets on an odd sized kettle that dont use the sockets, and the sockets have a hole in them they never had before.

Yeah, throwing me off a little.  I understand they're there to hold the OT but... now I can't un-see.
Christopher
2016 MT

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #448 on: April 06, 2016, 09:37:11 AM »
The performer has the leg sockets too, I can't remember anyone complaining about those?

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #449 on: April 06, 2016, 09:40:46 AM »
Id like to see how the innovations on this grill apply to the grills in the future.

Maybe this grill uses the 26" kettle with a insert to make it double walled.

The hole is for those little quick release buttons to hold in the legs on normal kettles. They updated those recently.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791