Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anyhone heard a rumor....  (Read 105524 times)

Hofy

• WKC Brave
Re: Has anyhone heard a rumor....
« Reply #420 on: April 06, 2016, 08:22:07 AM »
Weber has their Egg now.  Too bad they layed a rotten egg.  With this MSRP:  $1,699 and $2,299 respectively, I can only see it being a distant memory next year.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #421 on: April 06, 2016, 08:22:26 AM »
Just checked Craigslist. So far there are no Weber Summit Charcoal grills listed. 
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #422 on: April 06, 2016, 08:24:50 AM »
I am certainly interested.  $2k for a cooker that I will use for the next 10 years = ~$17/month.  Three less Starbucks lattes per month is a small price to pay for something that feeds my passion for outdoor cooking.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #423 on: April 06, 2016, 08:27:25 AM »
Weber has their Egg now.  Too bad they layed a rotten egg.  With this MSRP:  $1,699 and $2,299 respectively, I can only see it being a distant memory next year.

The grill isn't intended to replace the regular charcoal grill.
Most of us are not the target audience - but that doesn't mean that there isn't a target audience to support it...

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #424 on: April 06, 2016, 08:33:04 AM »
For comparison:

The size of the cooking area compare to the xl BGE  this lists for $1199, this is without accessories, when you are done with a nest , defuser, extender etc you will be in about $1700

This is obviously the market they were targeting for this.  I still say it is a tough pill to swallow but I also think the price of a BGE is silly.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #425 on: April 06, 2016, 08:33:49 AM »
I like @Winz perspective.  Although I just got my tax bill 15 minutes ago...summit purchase will NOT be made at this moment...ugh.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #426 on: April 06, 2016, 08:35:19 AM »
I am certainly interested.  $2k for a cooker that I will use for the next 10 years = ~$17/month.  Three less Starbucks lattes per month is a small price to pay for something that feeds my passion for outdoor cooking.

Winz

This is perfect.  @Winz , I am stealing this and immediately adding this to my sales pitch to the Wifey.  She works in finance so the straight up calculations will be speaking her language.  Although with a garage full of Kettles already I'm guessing she could give a $h*t less about my passions.   8)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #427 on: April 06, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
I think I just found the first revision of this on the google

"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #428 on: April 06, 2016, 08:38:13 AM »
For comparison:

The size of the cooking area compare to the xl BGE  this lists for $1199, this is without accessories, when you are done with a nest , defuser, extender etc you will be in about $1700

This is obviously the market they were targeting for this.  I still say it is a tough pill to swallow but I also think the price of a BGE is silly.

It's a tough price to swallow because you're looking at it from a value oriented perspective. (And there's nothing wrong with that)
The target audience that spends $2,000 on a charcoal grill isn't a value oriented crowd - they're an experience oriented crowd. (or perhaps a 'status oriented' crowd)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #429 on: April 06, 2016, 08:38:46 AM »

Winz

This is perfect.  @Winz , I am stealing this and immediately adding this to my sales pitch to the Wifey.  She works in finance so the straight up calculations will be speaking her language.  Although with a garage full of Kettles already I'm guessing she could give a $h*t less about my passions.   8)

You wife in finance will say buy a CL kettle for $50 and take that $17 per month and invest it......  :)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #430 on: April 06, 2016, 08:42:29 AM »
For comparison:

It's a tough price to swallow because you're looking at it from a value oriented perspective. (And there's nothing wrong with that)
The target audience that spends $2,000 on a charcoal grill isn't a value oriented crowd - they're an experience oriented crowd. (or perhaps a 'status oriented' crowd)

Very true Troy, I just wonder if 2 years from now we will be comparing this to the vieluxe?  I hope not, I love Weber products.

and as I said, I will be on the lookout in a couple years for the disgruntled wife or ignorant seller to see one of these on CL for $100

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #431 on: April 06, 2016, 08:47:34 AM »
For comparison:

Very true Troy, I just wonder if 2 years from now we will be comparing this to the vieluxe?  I hope not, I love Weber products.

and as I said, I will be on the lookout in a couple years for the disgruntled wife or ignorant seller to see one of these on CL for $100

I hope not as well.
I think if it fails, it won't be because of the price.
It'll be with their marketing efforts, or it will be related to the vocal negativity of weber's incredibly loyal (and value oriented) audience.
It's like Honda making a $90,000 luxury vehicle. If they market it to the civic drivers of the world, they're going to have a bad time.

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #432 on: April 06, 2016, 08:51:31 AM »
(or perhaps a 'status oriented' crowd)

This is the target audience.  @Troy has said it, I have said it, and a couple of others have said it in this thread already.  This product was not made with "us" in mind.  Weber doesn't care about "us" because they already have "us."  They care about Dr. Griller and Lawyer Griller who have the Mercedes in the driveway and are looking for something to add to their brand new outdoor kitchen.  They heard that charcoal cooking is the newest and latest craze in outdoor entertaining, so they drive over to their dealer that built their outdoor kitchen, not Home Depot or Ace Hardware. 

Weber knows this already.  There is a very telling line at the end of Amazing Ribs' review:

Unlike Summit gassers, these new coal burners will not be sold in big box hardware stores. At least for now Summit Charcoals are only available through indy dealers.

They're not trying to sell one to "us."
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #433 on: April 06, 2016, 08:52:46 AM »
It'll be with their marketing efforts, or it will be related to the vocal negativity of weber's incredibly loyal (and value oriented) audience.
Meaning us?  :) 

I actually think the price will have a factor, if they are going to take on the Kamado market with this thing I think they should have offered $1500 features @ $800 price point

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #434 on: April 06, 2016, 08:54:25 AM »

Winz

You wife in finance will say buy a CL kettle for $50 and take that $17 per month and invest it......  :)

I fully expected something like that out of my wife's mouth, but you LB?  Et tu, Brute?  I thought this was a safe place full of kindness and Weber whimsy.  Well, for a few glorious minutes there was hope...