Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anyhone heard a rumor....  (Read 105502 times)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Re: Has anyhone heard a rumor....
« Reply #480 on: April 06, 2016, 01:15:37 PM »
Wheres a video showing how to reload fuel past the grill grate, past the diffuser and not having a mess on your hands...

these insulated cookers run for weeks on a single cup of charcoal... at least that's how the BGE snobs make it sound :P

Maybe a charcoal ring for a minion? Where is the tool to open the diffuser to reload? The ad says easy fuel loading for longer cooks :o

This video shows how to add fuel when the diffuser plate is installed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZeXaFcsL44
Check around the 2:05 mark.
And if I'm not mistaken, member @AnotherPintPlease is starring in the aforementioned video.
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #481 on: April 06, 2016, 01:17:02 PM »
Isn't this almost an apples and oranges discussion?  Lets face it the Kamado style cookers are the ultimate in cooking....thats not to say the kettles aren't good, you can certainly cook on them as we all have done.  It's like a Rolls Royce and a Yugo, they both drive you to work, one just happens to be nicer, a lot nicer.  The kettle is a good versatile cooker that you can do a lot with, but I'm not gonna deny that the Kamado Joes and the BGE aren't great.  We here just prefer kettles, I'm not sure there is a lot of comparison though.  I have an old Imperial Kamado and the fuel consumption is crazy, it will just go and go and go on the same pile of coal this isn't a secret to anyone.  With a new BGE you need to buy a bunch of stuff, a stand, and the side tables and a few other parts, once you get all the stuff the prices are pretty close between the XL BGE and the SCG....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #482 on: April 06, 2016, 01:17:51 PM »
Skimming through as many social media places and forums as I can find so far, and the overall reaction is "great looking grill, terrible price point.  Should be $999."  Most folks are not seeing the value compared to a BGE.  Time will tell, I know, but I expected to see a lot more positive reaction than I have seen so far.

that's because its new and everyone is familiar with current weber charcoal products and their prices.

no one is ranting about how ridiculous big green eggs, primos, komodo kamados are..... because they've already accepted it.

I think the price is right. 
Everyone thought Tesla was insane, now the auto industry is flipped upside down.

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #483 on: April 06, 2016, 01:21:59 PM »
To anyone that may have missed it, check out the test by amazingribs. Lonnnnggggggg cook times :)
http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/summit-weber-charcoal-grill.html

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #484 on: April 06, 2016, 01:22:03 PM »
Wheres a video showing how to reload fuel past the grill grate, past the diffuser and not having a mess on your hands...

these insulated cookers run for weeks on a single cup of charcoal... at least that's how the BGE snobs make it sound :P

Maybe a charcoal ring for a minion? Where is the tool to open the diffuser to reload? The ad says easy fuel loading for longer cooks :o

This video shows how to add fuel when the diffuser plate is installed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZeXaFcsL44
Check around the 2:05 mark.
And if I'm not mistaken, member @AnotherPintPlease is starring in the aforementioned video.

Thanks! They have a bunch of videos, did't see this one. Looks like there is a tool. Wonder if it comes with gloves :o Looks like it is a hand load replenishment system.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #485 on: April 06, 2016, 01:23:16 PM »
Isn't this almost an apples and oranges discussion?  Lets face it the Kamado style cookers are the ultimate in cooking....thats not to say the kettles aren't good, you can certainly cook on them as we all have done.  It's like a Rolls Royce and a Yugo, they both drive you to work, one just happens to be nicer, a lot nicer.  The kettle is a good versatile cooker that you can do a lot with, but I'm not gonna deny that the Kamado Joes and the BGE aren't great.  We here just prefer kettles, I'm not sure there is a lot of comparison though.  I have an old Imperial Kamado and the fuel consumption is crazy, it will just go and go and go on the same pile of coal this isn't a secret to anyone.  With a new BGE you need to buy a bunch of stuff, a stand, and the side tables and a few other parts, once you get all the stuff the prices are pretty close between the XL BGE and the SCG....

exactly

the grill i WANT is over 6000.
I know my weber kettles can do anything that the 6k grill can do (aside from ultra efficient fuel usage) - but I still want the grill because its freaking gorgeous and its incredibly well made.

i'll probably get the summit charcoal. maybe not as an early adopter, but i think eventually I will have one.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #486 on: April 06, 2016, 01:24:10 PM »
that is butt ugly.

just black right? 

no yellow, white, baby blue? 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #487 on: April 06, 2016, 01:24:36 PM »
I don't know anything about BGE's ... do they have features like these two do? Gas start, ash sweeps, the rest?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #488 on: April 06, 2016, 01:25:22 PM »
lime green?  red?

purple? 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #489 on: April 06, 2016, 01:26:18 PM »
that is butt ugly.

just black right? 

there's a reason those colors are vintage and euro.... because america doesn't buy them.

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #490 on: April 06, 2016, 01:26:22 PM »
I am definitely factoring in the BGE end of it, @Troy.

I guess what I am trying to say is this will definitely be a good case study in branding.

One reason everyone accepts the pricing for BGE, BMW, Beretta shotguns, Apple MacBooks, and other premium brands is because they don't have a choice. There is no entry level BGE. Weber is known for cheap but effective kettles.

Will Weber be able to overcome the perception? VW couldn't with the Phaeton.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #491 on: April 06, 2016, 01:27:20 PM »
that is butt ugly.

just black right? 

I just read they were going to make a Green a Yellow and blue, but since you said it was butt ugly they decided no scrap the idea.....sad face

macmanjpc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #492 on: April 06, 2016, 01:28:01 PM »
So, if I sell my 22" Performer, 22" WSM, 22" M/T, Genesis EP-320 AND my Traeger Texas I'd have enough to put a downpayment on a new SCG Grilling Center!  :o

Wait... how many sq. in. is the new Summit??

My wife would be happy with one grill in the yard but other than that I see no sense on the cost/benefit analysis. Don't get me wrong. Looks like a fantastic grill and I'll be envious of anyone who gets one. The price just isn't justified. I could afford it if I wanted to but I won't. I'm so disappointed in the pricing decision by Weber. There are comparable grills out there for A LOT less...

I saw this one today for $1250 CDN. I get that Weber is gonna be better built, designed, etc. and want to position themselves as the more premium option but DOUBLE the price? Seriously. In Canada the Summit Grilling Center model is $2499!!

http://www.bbqs.com/summit-charcoal-grilling-center.html

Did I mention I'm disappointed?
Weber 22" Performer Touch-N-Go, Master-Touch 22" Ivory Special Edition, Smokey Mountain Cooker 22", Genesis EP-320 Blue, Jumbo Joe, Gas-Go-Anywhere... oh... and a Traeger Texas Elite Pellet-pooper.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #493 on: April 06, 2016, 01:29:18 PM »
I am definitely factoring in the BGE end of it, @Troy.

I guess what I am trying to say is this will definitely be a good case study in branding.

One reason everyone accepts the pricing for BGE, BMW, Beretta shotguns, Apple MacBooks, and other premium brands is because they don't have a choice. There is no entry level BGE. Weber is known for cheap but effective kettles.

Will Weber be able to overcome the perception? VW couldn't with the Phaeton.

There all kinds of crap cheapo Kamados at Menards, go check them out....bobo kegs and other stuff, they look as cheap as they are priced....

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #494 on: April 06, 2016, 01:29:59 PM »
And Akorns, etc. But they are not BGEs.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM