Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Just picked up but worried.  (Read 3550 times)

RumBar

• WKC Brave
Just picked up but worried.
« on: February 01, 2016, 02:54:16 PM »
I found this on CL this morning and picked it up this afternoon. I didn't get a chance to look at it closely but for $60 I didn't think it looked too bad.
When I got home I was able to inspect it better and I found this at the bowl vents!

EEK! What caused that or was it done with a Dremel? Im not sure I want to even slide the sweep. I'm guessing I need to be very careful in that area when cleaning it. Actually I might just skip the bowl cleaning and shine up the rest. Any recommendations on cleaning up the plastic table, it's fairly pitted. I'm thinking a large cutting board will work great.

●|||||||●

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Just picked up but worried.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 02:59:48 PM »
For the table a cutting board would be great or you could order the new metal table, you may be able to register it with Weber it all depends on the service rep and ask about a replacement bowl. Any gas assist bowl will fit old and new so if you can find a good bowl you will be set!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 03:34:03 PM »
i'd say the cart alone is worth the sixty.  i want to make a nice wood table for one some day. 

not sure what's going on with the vents but it looks like the sweeps just may cover the openings. ( if i'm seeing things correctly.)  either way, there's no harm in a good cleaning to see what you're working with.  like @1911Ron said you can always plop another gas assist bowl on and rock out.  if it's under 10 years old weber may send you a replacement, it never hurts to call their customer service and ask.  but gas assist bowls (with matching lids) show up in the members sale section relatively often, and typically at good prices. 

i'd say you did fine personally.  nice grab. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 03:58:47 PM »
Magic Eraser does wonders on the work tables. For $60, you got a great deal. I would do as others have said and clean it up so you can see what you are working with. If its rusted away (hard to see from the pics), register the grill and then call Weber and if they wont warranty it, maybe they will cut you a good deal on a new one.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 06:24:10 PM »
Whats the bottom of the bowl look like? Rust? If someone took a Dremel on it looks like a hack job. I would say they left charcoal ash in it, got wet, the grill sat for a long time and rusted out.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 07:39:12 PM »
Don't worry! That is a great looking grill. I had one that looked a lot worse I fixed up for my uncle and aunt. Turned out great! If interested take a look. Yours will turnout much better. Replace all bolts with stainless is what I did.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-rescue-restore-respect/

Also if the table is shot PM me I can help.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:51:04 PM by Shoestringshop »
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 10:46:10 PM »
Your find appears to be a Gen2 Performer (2005-2009/2010) .  You probably don't have serial numbers to register the Performer w/ Weber CS  ...  they don't need them.  They do need to know if it has Touch-n-Go assist (if it does, then any new bowl has a opening for the ignition unit; else no opening).

Your Performer may have been purchased 2008 ???  and it has rusted out pretty badly by now.  Perhaps too badly to control intake airflow.   Of course YOU must contend with Kettle Karma one way or the other :(                                SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 02:44:41 AM »
Thats the first performer ive seen with rusted bowl vents...ive had oerformers as old as 94....from what ive seen..pre 2000 performer bowls hold up much better than post 2000 models.
Probably due to lower cost production enameling process
Grills

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 03:55:03 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, I can't wait to get started on it. I may call Weber CS to ask about the bowl but will probably buy a new or used one if its as bad as I think it is.

●|||||||●

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 05:21:43 AM »
UPDATE!
All cleaned up and ready to grill on. Well as soon as I tell my wife.

●|||||||●

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 05:36:43 AM »
Wow! Did Weber CS hook you up?
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 05:56:39 AM »
i had a feeling that would buff right out.  :D

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 06:10:41 AM »
Nice job, is that a new lid too, the color looks right on

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 06:30:13 AM »
Looks great. Did Weber help out with the bowl?

What kind of shop/garage are you at? Noticed the engine work going on in the background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 07:26:05 AM »
a nice dark wood handle would finish that up nicely.  :D