Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Attempt at wings.  (Read 2200 times)

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
First Attempt at wings.
« on: January 24, 2016, 12:32:53 PM »
Greetings all,

Many of you assisted me in purchasing my first Weber Kettle last Friday.   After two successful maiden voyages (ribeyes and hamburgers), I decided to give wings a try for a dinner party tonight.  I found a recipe on the Weber app for honey lime sriracha wings that's sounded interesting. 

When I bought the kettle, I purchased a small bag of cowboy lump charcoal.   I used about half of it in the last two days and thought the smell was a bit odd.   Also it seemed to transfer a bit too much charcoal flavor to the food.  I bought a bag of royal Oak from HD today and I'm sold.  It is awesome!  Kept an even 400 for most of the two hour cook. 

On to the pics....
My first ring o wings

This is about an hour in

Almost done

On the plate ready to go

They turned out crispy and delicious.  The sauce is awesome also.   I am in love with charcoal cooking!!!

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
Re: First Attempt at wings.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 12:48:10 PM »
Those look great ! What are you cooking on the new kettle for breakfast?
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 12:48:59 PM »
Those look perfect!
I like RO lump. Pretty consistent for a lump charcoal. I find Cowboy to be hit and miss, and Frontier to be not worth buying.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 12:58:53 PM »
"I am in love with charcoal cooking!!!"

Welcome to the club. Those wings look bloody good.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 01:48:38 PM »

You know, it's funny you mention that.   I was looking for recipes this morning but ended up making the wings today instead.  I'm definitely looking for breakfast suggestions. 

David

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 04:20:43 PM »
I too am a big fan of Royal Oak lump.  Cowboy brand used to be made of scrap lumber.  It burns fast and not as hot as RO.  It also leaves a lot more ash.   BTW nice cook on the wings!  Gona make some Super Bowl Sunday for lunch while my ribs are cooking.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 05:01:09 PM »
Those wings look awesome!

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 05:14:05 PM »
The wings were a huge hit tonight.   I'm really happy with the cooking technique.   Couple things I want to tweak for next time:
1)  get a rub on them sooner so they can set up a little longer before putting them on the grill. 
2). Explore some specific wing rubs.   The recipe called for a rub of salt pepper, coriander  and cayenne pepper.  I'm sure I can find something more interesting. 
3).  Tweak the sauce just a bit.  I like the idea of sweet and spicy but I think I needed just a bit more honey and a little less lime juice. 

David

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 06:01:21 PM »

You know, it's funny you mention that.   I was looking for recipes this morning but ended up making the wings today instead.  I'm definitely looking for breakfast suggestions. 

David

Scotch eggs are always an easy cook for breakfast if you have the supplies on hand. Search the forum for a couple of recipe variations. Since I posted my recipe, I've added cherry wood for a nice flavor and color.. Because of the additional cooking that happens on the grill, I found cooking the egg to lightly to medium hard boiled is optimal.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 06:03:39 PM »
2). Explore some specific wing rubs.   The recipe called for a rub of salt pepper, coriander  and cayenne pepper.  I'm sure I can find something more interesting. 

Not a wing specific rub, but Old Bay Wings are a treat!
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 06:19:13 PM »
Wings look great.  I been using Royal Oak for about a year now and its now my favorite charcoal as well.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 01:30:50 PM »

Not a wing specific rub, but Old Bay Wings are a treat!

Done that and agree ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna