Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Pizza.....worth it?  (Read 4686 times)

jorrtvh

• Smokey Joe
Kettle Pizza.....worth it?
« on: December 23, 2015, 10:16:55 AM »
Sorry, I'm sure that this has been discussed at some point in these forums and I tried to search for it but no luck.
What do you all think of these things?
18” Smoky Mountain, Blue C & B Performer, Black 22" One Touch, Black Smokey Joe

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Kettle Pizza.....worth it?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 10:50:12 AM »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 11:56:32 AM »
I had the owners and developers of Kettle Pizza over my house last summer to do a demo with my sister making pizza.  We turned out some outstanding pies.  We used the STOK 22 inch charcoal drum and I'm sure a weber kettle would hold the heat better-
http://northeastbbq.com/2015/11/07/sistafelicia-put-on-an-absolute-backyard-pizza-cooking-clinic-using-kettlepizza-and-my-stokgrills-charcoal-drum/
and then we had another session at the beach.  I love ours and highly recommend it.
https://goodmorninggloucester.wordpress.com/2015/08/17/uhmmm-summer-check-beach-check-kettlepizza-check-stokgrills-check-friends-and-family-check-it-doesnt-get-much-better-than-this-folks/

https://goodmorninggloucester.wordpress.com/2015/07/04/making-pizza-on-the-stok-charcoal-drum-with-kettlepizza-developers-and-sista-felicia-part-iii/

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 02:26:32 PM »
Short answer to your questions...

Yes, for me, it was worth the $100 I paid for it (no stone or peel included at that price).

It looks pretty cool  8) and the design makes it pretty easy to get the pizza in and out.

For me, the biggest challenge was to get enough heat to cook the top of the pizza at the same rate as the bottom. My most recent cook with the Kettle Pizza, I wrapped a cooking grate with HD aluminum foil and placed it on top of the attachment and then put the lid on. This simple mod made a huge difference and is close as I have come to getting them perfectly cooked.

I use a 1/4" piece of steel, instead of a stone. The steel was less than $20 and was on my way to work  :) I would try a kiln shelf, but can't get one local to me. The steel works awesome btw. 

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 02:44:24 PM »
Short answer to your questions...

Yes, for me, it was worth the $100 I paid for it (no stone or peel included at that price).

It looks pretty cool  8) and the design makes it pretty easy to get the pizza in and out.

For me, the biggest challenge was to get enough heat to cook the top of the pizza at the same rate as the bottom. My most recent cook with the Kettle Pizza, I wrapped a cooking grate with HD aluminum foil and placed it on top of the attachment and then put the lid on. This simple mod made a huge difference and is close as I have come to getting them perfectly cooked.

I use a 1/4" piece of steel, instead of a stone. The steel was less than $20 and was on my way to work  :) I would try a kiln shelf, but can't get one local to me. The steel works awesome btw. 

Can you get another piece of steel for the above the pizza area?

if so, can you get two, along with another stone replacement size? Because #DOWANT

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 04:01:03 PM »
Can you get another piece of steel for the above the pizza area?

I did think of that, and still might get another, but I think by covering the entire surface, directly above the pizza, it forces all of that hot air much closer to the pizza. Before I used the foil up top, I tried fire bricks and my broken pizza stone to radiate heat downward. By far, the foil was way more effective than the bricks, or pizza stone.

If so, can you get two, along with another stone replacement size? Because #DOWANT

Yes, they had a few more of the 16" ones and several 14" pieces, last time I was there.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 05:43:19 PM »
@Jason The grill wrapped in foil trick does work...until you go to a high enough temp to melt the foil. And that will happen about five minutes after you throw in a couple good sized chunks of hardwood. I ended up with aluminum on top of the pizza. Not good eatin'. Troy's idea is a good one, with the second steel above.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 05:58:11 PM »
I like mine, but only paid about $100. It is cool and fun, but requires attention to keep turning the pies so they don't burn in the back. I use a Lodge CI pizza pan, because I broke about 6 stones. But all of those stone pieces on a top shelf do a good job of reflecting heat onto the pizza tops.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers
One of the charcoal people.

jorrtvh

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 08:27:28 PM »
Cool....thanks guys.  I've been wanting one for a while but haven't yet pulled the trigger.  I just about brought one home with me from my trip to the KC Crate and Barrel to pick up my Blue Performer.  We would have gotten a 10% discount on it but we were dropping some serious coin as it was and we just decided to hold off.  The wifey got her Nespresso coffee thing she's been wanting and we bought a couple of Christmas gifts for family.  I did score a Lodge cast iron cornbread pan for a great price.  I'm building up my Lodge collection as well as my Weber Kettles!

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 06:31:49 AM »
I have the serious eats version with the baking steel roof. I have no complaints other than the initial cost.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 07:00:27 AM »
Ok, after reading this, I will be stopping by the steel yard for another piece.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 07:06:45 AM »

Kettle Pizza.....worth it?

If you like and enjoy making pizza at home …. Then, yes.  I have put out some amazing pies with mine.  A fun accessory.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/kettlepizza-first-time-firing-it-up/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

jorrtvh

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 07:40:46 PM »
Oh yeah....thanks for the link back to that old thread Mac.  That was some good reading.  I just realized it was you who started that one haha!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 06:23:32 AM »
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/11/introducing-the-serious-eats-edition-baking-steel-and-kettlepizza-backyard-pizza-oven-kit.html

This has been on my bucket lists of Weber mods. 
I've got a few 55 gallon open top drums and lids with bungs, that are going to get cut up for smoker projects, and I'm planning on a Kettle Pizza clone and doing the Baking Steel type top plate. I'm really liking the link with the STOK grill!

http://www.kettlepizza.com/Serious-Eats-KettlePizza-Special-Edition-Kit-p/kpse-22.htm

But for those that are using the Serious Eats Edition Kettle Pizza setup, how much or if any difference do you think it would make using a flat drum lid with a vent over the Baking Steel top rather than a Weber/STOK lid?

@captjoe06  @Troy @Jason @Jon @mike.stavlund @dwnthehatch @MacEggs

I got bit by the bug on my mentors Wood Sone Commercial Pizza Oven!

There is so much more than pizza for this mod!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 07:07:24 AM »
I think it will help with keeping the heat closer to the top of the pizza but the baking steel will retain the heat much better. It is an extremely thick (3/16") hunk of steel that takes hours to cool down once your fire is burned out. You could possibly place some firebricks on top of the flat drum lid to create the same effect. I actually have two baking steels now and use one in place of the pizza stone.