Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer - Alternative to Touch and Go  (Read 2624 times)

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
Performer - Alternative to Touch and Go
« on: December 11, 2015, 01:42:28 PM »
While looking to get a Performer I came up with this idea as an alternative to going with the touch and go starter.
Saves a couple bucks, and adds a little versatility.

Rather then spend the $50 on the propane starting system, I picked up the following:

Self igniting torch head - $14.97
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-WT2301-Self-Igniting-Basic-Torch-Head-336737/202539575

Propane cylinder - $2.97
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-14-1-oz-Propane-Gas-Cylinder-304182/202044700

Universal torch extension hose - $14.97
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-WH0159-Universal-Torch-Extension-Hose-334246/202539579

I first simply got the torch, but found that it can be difficult to point downward, especially with a full tank as the flame goes out if the torch head picks up fluid not the gas. I was looking for a new head and found the hose.

The hose is nice and long, and allows you to get in and light the edges of your coal pile, or the middle.. or...
Basically rather then positioning the coals over the starter and rearranging, you can simply set up your coals however, and light in place.

Drilled a hole in the lower lip of the front panel and hung the tank with the belt clip that is provided with the extension hose

So maybe not huge savings, but enough for a hunk of meat or a 12 pack.... and perhaps a little more versatility. Also can be added to other grills.

Just figured I'd share, has worked very well for me so far. 

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Performer - Alternative to Touch and Go
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 01:47:54 PM »
Nice! I've got a propane cylinder and a head, I think I would only need the hose to duplicate!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 02:42:58 PM »
That is wonderful never thought of that! Now I need to buy all of the components to build. Thanks for the idea :)
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 04:29:37 PM »
Before I got gas assist I snagged that same head and tank trying something very similar but found that head wasn't generating enough heat to get coals lit when it was cold out. Hopefully the hose provides better results.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 06:06:42 PM »
Before I got gas assist I snagged that same head and tank trying something very similar but found that head wasn't generating enough heat to get coals lit when it was cold out. Hopefully the hose provides better results.

Really? I am in California... So not much cold issues  ;)  But I have to hold the torch back a bit or the extra heat creates a lot of really intense popping. I am using lump, so that may have an effect.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 10:34:43 PM »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 09:58:01 PM »
They go on sale for as low as $24.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html

25% off one item w/code 83173631 Sunday 12/13 only - that makes it $24 just like Brian said.

Looks like this torch will attach to a 20 # tank 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)