Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS Performers - Certifying old 5lb tanks  (Read 4039 times)

brawndo

• Smokey Joe
SS Performers - Certifying old 5lb tanks
« on: December 06, 2015, 04:56:05 AM »
Having picked up a SS performer in the last few months, and seeing the beautiful blue performer that @BC just picked up, I was wondering if there is a resource for companies that WKC members can provide that have done the recertification/ upgrade of the 5lb tanks, maybe sorted by state, region, etc.

I'm in a large market (Raleigh, NC) but seems to be lacking in the commercial propane companies. Most that I contact are balking at the idea, and seem more interested in selling a new tank, etc.

It could be as simple as if you've had a tank re-certified in the last xx years, post up the company and website or contact information along with city & state.  It could also work in reverse and those in need, such as myself can post up our location and members can message or respond.

If there's already a running list, please delete this and let me know. 

I am looking for someone in the Raleigh, NC area to recondition and unfit an original tank to OPD so I Can get it filled. I have an adapter to connect to the original quick connect regulator.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: SS Performers - Certifying old 5lb tanks
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 06:44:25 AM »
I don't have a SSP yet, but this is a pretty good idea.
Still need a 22” yellow

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 10:36:45 AM »
Have you reached out to the local Airgas already?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 11:59:16 AM »
I would look for a welding supply shop

brawndo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 12:12:11 PM »
Ok - will check with some welding places and report back - didn't think to go that route.

mcgee10

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 01:14:30 PM »
Our local filled both of mine and did say something about me getting them recertified . But they filled them just as they were. I'm sure to have it done you'll need to go to a propane dealer.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 07:13:33 AM »
Any home propane dealer will re-cert for a small fee. Its $15 around here.

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 09:57:02 AM »
I'm in the same boat as brawn do, except my target area is Los Angeles/Santa Monica (or reasonably close). Thanks.

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 10:25:41 AM »
http://www.ferrellgas.com/Locations?State=CA 
I went to ferrellgas in Missouri. Inspected my 1999 5Lb tank and recertified refilled for $7. Above is the link for CA. Check it out I think they are in all States.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:27:48 AM by SteveZ »
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 02:53:35 PM »
Thanks very much for that link, SteveZ.  Unfortunately it looks like their closest store open to the public (as opposed to a service/delivery location only) is about 3 hours away from me.  Grrrr.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 07:29:41 PM »
Ferrell Gas here in Eugene has the best price I've found (so far) $35 for re-cert and OPD upgrade.   Still looking.                             SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 08:33:32 AM »
In the DC area, Fairfax propane is great.  Less than 10 bucks for a 5-year re-cert, if I remember correctly.  Very friendly and knowledgeable as well.  And with all the food trucks popping up around here, I think they will be in business for a good long time. 
One of the charcoal people.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 10:24:50 AM »
Lol.. I guess folks in Texas just DGAF. I filled a tank that looked like it had been living in a barn for 10 years. The kid looked at it and said "ya, I got a fitting like that." I handed him the tank and stood many yards away. Didn't say a word about certification, or dirt, or cobwebs, or danger of leaky explosions. I just shook his hand and said thanks. Paid the lady upfront and threw that 5lb tank of uncertainty on the floor board next to me. YOLO!
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 10:30:15 AM »
Lol.. I guess folks in Texas just DGAF. I filled a tank that looked like it had been living in a barn for 10 years. The kid looked at it and said "ya, I got a fitting like that." I handed him the tank and stood many yards away. Didn't say a word about certification, or dirt, or cobwebs, or danger of leaky explosions. I just shook his hand and said thanks. Paid the lady upfront and threw that 5lb tank of uncertainty on the floor board next to me. YOLO!

"threw that 5lb tank of uncertainty on the floor board"

Oh my goodness that made me laugh hard!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 10:12:26 AM »
Yeah, the crew at my local U-Haul never sweated my old tank, but they started getting visits from OSHA and started turning me away. 
One of the charcoal people.