Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I used lighter fluid last night - and I liked it  (Read 3667 times)

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
I used lighter fluid last night - and I liked it
« on: November 06, 2015, 12:15:39 PM »
I left a kettle up at my parents house last Thanksgiving that we used for a turkey and then prime rib on Christmas. At some point I brought the chimney starter back home. Fast forward to last night and we're almost to my parents house to celebrate my Dad's 74th birthday. He calls me en-route and says we should cook the flank steak on the Weber.... Too late to turn back home, but there's a Walgreens just ahead so I stop in to see what I can find.

I finally come up with the idea of lighter fluid but of course there's literally no grilling supplies at the store. On the way out an employee asks me if he can help me with anything. I ask about lighter fluid and he says let me check the back. A few minutes later he returns with a bottle of Kingsford Odorless Charcoal Lighter Fluid - sweet!

Anyway, it starts charcoal like a champ, I didn't notice any off tastes or odors and wouldn't hesitate to use it again if needed. Not the lighter fluid I remember when I was growing up. Don't be afraid  :D

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Re: I used lighter fluid last night - and I liked it
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 12:43:21 PM »
as long as you let it burn off, it's fine
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »
Agreed , I use it when I don't have other options or I'll soak just one briquette  and use it as a starter piece . It smells like summer to me .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 02:19:23 PM »
I put a little on the paper underneath the chimney

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 05:31:55 PM »
Blow
Torch
Blowtorch.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 07:43:47 PM »
Blow
Torch
Blowtorch.
Blow torch at a house that doesn't have a blow torch?

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 07:53:53 PM »
Blow
Torch
Blowtorch.
Blow torch at a house that doesn't have a blow torch?
Yup, cause home depot
[emoji14]

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 10:48:35 PM »
AMEN! I like using it in conjunction with the chimney and Kingsford because its a faster start. A lot less fogging the neighborhood for mosquitoes (more fire = less smoke).  Never like using paper because of blowing ashes, and if I need to start that way, I do it away from the pit and food cooking area. I douse the charcoal briquettes, touch it off right away and fully burn it off, no soaking. Never notice any kerosene in food. Now if I can only get the courage up to try the minion or snake method on a piece of meat. I hear you can't taste any petroleum distillates and contests have been won that way.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 04:20:38 AM »
I would have used lighter fluid too, if there was no way to MacGyver a fire otherwise. Its a tool just like foil and alot of other gadgets.

The big difference is none of the other gadgets can be used to write your name in flames on the driveway. More fun with food & fire.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 05:55:22 AM »
All the more reason to keep some pube cubes handy …. YMMV   :) :)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
I like the smell of lighter fluid + ignited charcoal. A guilty pleasure that takes me back to the old days. BUT I do have to let it burn off before I cook..

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 04:08:50 PM »
My dad is suffering from pretty advanced dementia, so when he found some clarity this summer when I was visiting and asked for a meal on the Weber, you know I didn't hesitate.  Got out his old Glen Blue Imperial for steaks, potatoes, veggies, and even some apples from a nearby tree.  But the one thing I didn't think of until I was flying home was that I should have used lighter fluid to start everything up.  THAT would have been a powerful memory trigger for my dad and for all the rest of us. 
One of the charcoal people.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 04:32:46 PM »
That smell of Kingsford doused with lighter fluid sure does bring back memories. I have 2 bottles of it sitting in the garage from a couple of kettles from craigslist collecting dust. I might light some up with it without the wife knowing and see if she detects a "chemical taste"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 05:53:32 PM »
i typically avoid, but i keep some handy because every once in a while I like to fill the hood with that smell.

I also find it quite amusing when a neighbor peaks over the fence with a, "mmmm, that smells good! What are you cooking?"

To which I reply, nothing yet - that's just charcoal and lighter fluid.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 08:13:37 PM »
The best firestarter from stuff readily available in a kitchen is a paper towel soaked in vegetable oil. Place under the pile of charcoal and light.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791