Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Could be...not sure  (Read 3742 times)

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
Could be...not sure
« on: October 19, 2015, 07:01:45 PM »
I was doing the usual CL/Ebay sweep when I came across a picture that caught my eye.  I could see it was a decent older 18", so I decided to give the ad a look.  It was then that I saw something that I hadn't even heard of until about a week ago on this site.  That decent older 18" was a patent pending MBH neatly perched atop 3 straight legs!  A Traveler...I think.

I'm looking for some validation from some of you more seasoned Grillfellas out there because I'm not sure how you would ever tell if one of these was original or just a standard kettle that someone stuck 2 more straight legs in.  Sue, the nice gal selling the 18", said that's the way it's always been and they hadn't ever changed anything with it as far as she knew.  All she cared about was getting it out of her garage because it hadn't moved in about 20 years according to her.  She was so tickled to get rid of it she threw in an unopened bag of KBB circa 1988.    :o

She's in solid shape and should clean up nicely.  A little surface rust around the leg sockets, but no knicks or dings.  Just 20 years of dust and a whole lot of mystery.  So here's some pics from tonight before clean up.  Let me know what you think.  The real deal or an impostor?  At first I thought impostor, because it had an ash pan on it, but then I got to thinking.  If it were me back then, or now for that matter, I would have gotten pretty sick of hot ash and embers falling directly on the ground and probably would have picked up an ash pan too.  Anyway...

And the verdict is????  The verdict is for $10 I'm happy either way!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Re: Could be...not sure
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 07:22:06 PM »
Is that the much discussed "Traveller" model that has been causing such an uproar on another part of the site?  Looks similar to the pics posted over on that post.  Regardless, very nice pickup!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 07:27:27 PM »
Is that the much discussed "Traveller" model that has been causing such an uproar on another part of the site?  Looks similar to the pics posted over on that post.  Regardless, very nice pickup!
Ha!  Not even close.  This is a  $10 local CL find.  That being said if anyone wants to give me the kind of money that was thrown around in that other thread I can have her boxed and on a UPS truck in the morning.  [emoji23]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 01:50:20 AM »
It looks like someone put two different legs on it, handles would not line up with the legs if it were a Traveler.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 02:10:57 AM »
Cool either way for 10 bucks Russ...

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 02:33:05 AM »
Not sure but it sure is nice but so are your Red MT's , I love the faded blacks and that has a nice even fade
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 08:49:32 AM »
I may be mistaken, but I believe the Traveler has thumbscrews.  Am I right @harris92 ?

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 09:00:23 AM »
@Uncle JJ @Russell C.

Patent Pending Traveler would not have thumbscrews.  The ash pan was added later.  It is not period correct to the age of the grill.  Do any of the legs have holes in them where a triangle should connect?  Does it look like a leg or legs were added later (i.e. are they weathered the same)?

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 10:25:06 AM »
@harris92

The legs all look the same.  No one shinier or blatantly different than the other.  No holes to receive a triangle in any of them either.

I'm curious about the bowl handle alignment.  I've read on the older ones they would not have lined up with a leg like this one does.  Of course the older Webers would have been a much more manual process.  As they entered the 70's I'm guessing thing's like the welding and placement of handles and leg sockets were a little more automated. 

I guess what I'm saying is at some point it wasn't going to make sense for Weber to make one model of grill where they had to setup and place things differently.  Poor manufacturing process.  Now with that in mind, did they ever make a traveler model with a standard kettle setup?  I don't know.  That's why I called on you big guns.  :)

Love these kinds of conversations where you guys that really know your stuff chime in.  Truly helps educate guys like me who share the passion but might not have the same level of experience yet.  Thanks @harris92 !

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 10:44:56 AM »

@Russell C.

"Now with that in mind, did they ever make a traveler model with a standard kettle setup?"

Not that I am aware of.  Here is a pic of a Patent Pending Traveler from the 1971 catalog.

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-catalogs/1971-Charcoal-Brochure.pdf

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 11:22:36 AM »
IMHO, I'm thinking you have the real deal. I do believe your correct, that the owner added the pan later in its life.
Like my Sequoia, it was made to remove, to become a traveler too. Probably a marketing thing at the time, to justify the price.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 12:26:22 PM »
@harris92 Are the ends of the traveller legs cut flat under the white caps? Just curious but it may help determine if the legs are at least original.

Congrats either way Russell! [emoji106]
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 12:56:27 PM »
@SixZeroFour

Yes, the ends of the traveler legs are cut flat under the white caps.  I also think it is the real deal.

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 02:45:55 PM »
Well the caps are long gone, but you can see the line on all the legs where a little more dirt and grime collected.  I have to assume that is because at one time they were there.

I need a little more clarification on "legs cut flat".  Flat as in flat to the ground while sitting up, or flat as in squared off ends on the legs so the caps would have sat flush?

Mine are cut square.

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 02:56:56 PM »
Post some pics of the leg ends when you have a chance.

Couple pics of mine (caps on)