Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: It's Settled  (Read 6022 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: It's Settled
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 03:56:48 PM »
It's all been said above, but I'll only add that I gave up on lump a while ago when bags started getting really inconsistent.

Stubbs is all I use now.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 03:58:52 PM »
After your homemade lump trial you can use all the leftover fines /dust to make your own briquettes.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 04:13:21 PM »
Quick interjection, where would one find coshell?  Maybe a dumb question, but does it actually impart a coconut flavor?  I have issues with coconut anything.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 04:46:35 PM »
Quick interjection, where would one find coshell?  Maybe a dumb question, but does it actually impart a coconut flavor?  I have issues with coconut anything.

No, Coshell and Charcos do not impart any coconut flavors.

A couple years ago a guy posted on the BBQ Brethren site looking for folks to review Coshell. I received a few small 3.3 bags of it and to be honest, it wasn't enough to do any kind of long cooks with such a small amount, so I only grilled with it. It takes a little longer to get lit and to temp, but it does get hot and extinguishes when the vents are closed off leaving you with quite a bit of fuel to reuse. 

I was pleased with it and gave them a favorable review and they sent me a few more large bags which I used in my Backwoods, BGE's (the horror!) and 22" WSM's with great results. I eventually found some at a local Lowes, but they didn't last long in stock.
Coshell then offered teams a "sponsorship" which basically amounted to a 10% discount if you ordered through Lowes (retail) it covered shipping. Not a big deal for me if I can't grab 'n go.

We took some Charcos and Coshell to an Evergreen Eggfest sponsored by the local Big Green Egg and Wicked Good distributor in hopes of getting them to pick them up. A couple Reps had already tried Coshell and complained of excess ash in the domes on high temp cooks (something I had experienced, but didn't think it was an issue) and they poo-pooed it.  In the end, they had their hands full selling containers of Wicked Good and overpriced royal oak BGE Lump to take on anything else.

I use the Charcos in my BGE for baking and pizza, burns hot and super clean.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 04:48:39 PM »
Lump sucks, but if you want to use it, who am I to stop you - proceed  ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 04:51:04 PM by AZ Monsoon »

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 04:54:05 PM »
I do feel that way, but I'm just messing around. Use what you want. Cook stuff. Be happy.

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 05:03:40 PM »
Sounds like the Reps followed the money. 
Before you're reply I was able to discover that both can be found online (Charcos 25% off on their site right now).  Amazon has 9lb. bags of Coshell for $20 (free shipping via Prime).  Is that a good price?  I'd like to give some coconut a try, broaden my horizons so to speak.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 05:07:07 PM »
I WAS happy with RO lump (when I use lump), but the last few bags that I bought were inconsistent.  Foreign objects, bark, incompletely burned pieces, etc.
I will try one more bag this fall and if I don't like it I will look for a different lump.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 05:35:21 PM »
I'm with people on lump and Stubb's and not passing up the big sales on KBB. But my dream charcoal would be a quality product at a great price through Amazon Prime so that I would get free shipping and our mailman delivered larger orders of it on Sundays.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2015, 06:21:29 PM »

No, Coshell and Charcos do not impart any coconut flavors.

A couple years ago a guy posted on the BBQ Brethren site looking for folks to review Coshell. I received a few small 3.3 bags of it and to be honest, it wasn't enough to do any kind of long cooks with such a small amount, so I only grilled with it. It takes a little longer to get lit and to temp, but it does get hot and extinguishes when the vents are closed off leaving you with quite a bit of fuel to reuse. 

I was pleased with it and gave them a favorable review and they sent me a few more large bags which I used in my Backwoods, BGE's (the horror!) and 22" WSM's with great results. I eventually found some at a local Lowes, but they didn't last long in stock.
Coshell then offered teams a "sponsorship" which basically amounted to a 10% discount if you ordered through Lowes (retail) it covered shipping. Not a big deal for me if I can't grab 'n go.

We took some Charcos and Coshell to an Evergreen Eggfest sponsored by the local Big Green Egg and Wicked Good distributor in hopes of getting them to pick them up. A couple Reps had already tried Coshell and complained of excess ash in the domes on high temp cooks (something I had experienced, but didn't think it was an issue) and they poo-pooed it.  In the end, they had their hands full selling containers of Wicked Good and overpriced royal oak BGE Lump to take on anything else.

I use the Charcos in my BGE for baking and pizza, burns hot and super clean.
I tried Coshell at the place we rented in Hawaii and wondered if it was the humidity that caused it to take so long to light.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2015, 07:24:52 PM »

So I gave it the ole college try but I must admit I'm a lump man through and through!  Sorry briquette dudes.

Dude, you give up too easily.  I must admit that I use lump most of the time, but nothing beats briquets for a snake / fuse.
I like to use briqs for butts and brisket …. Low 'n' Slow.  :) :)

@swamprb , how is that stuff?  I have seen it for sale in our local classifieds.  Was a little too far away to make the effort.
I still need to try that bag of Coshell @MrHoss …. Sorry, dude …  :-\ :-\  I don't grill as much as you.  :-[ :'(
I did think briquettes may be better for low and slow snake as you stated but to be quite honest I don't use snake to much either.   I do think I'll try a snake with briquettes at some point though.   

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2015, 07:31:10 PM »

After your homemade lump trial you can use all the leftover fines /dust to make your own briquettes.

Lol.  Ya I have to keep the idea of making my own lump near the too of my to do list.  I think I'll enjoy it.  Just don't really have the time to do it right now....or a 30 gal drum.  Hopefully in the near future. 

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »

I use KBB and have for years , but I seriously taste something off with the new formulation. It's almost like a lighter fluid taste. I'm thinking of making a change

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also didn't like the start up smoke that was coming off it either.  As you said, it's like there's lighter fluid in it or something. 

Mozfan00

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2015, 08:10:32 PM »
Just used lump for some wings tonight and at the same time I'm using Stubbs briquettes for my pork shoulder

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

22.5" 2013 Black Daily Cooker "AT" OTG
18.5" 2013 "Bud Light- Carne Asada" Promo kettle
22.5 "1983 Blue "E" OTS & 2002 "DU" SJ

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2015, 10:04:41 AM »
i made the switch this summer to royal oak briquettes in the red bag.  I still have 5 or so 18.6 lb bags of KBB, i'm thinking i may mix a bag of KBB with the royal oak and see how that works for me to get through it all.

or maybe i'll sell them on cl to someone local just to get rid of them