Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Member with New (Old) Performer  (Read 5543 times)

micky

• Smokey Joe
New Member with New (Old) Performer
« on: October 08, 2015, 03:50:51 PM »
Just found my first Weber this afternoon; will see if I can post a photo from the CL ad.  Will be cleaning it up and thinking about modifications -- suggestions very much welcome.

micky

• Smokey Joe
Re: New Member with New (Old) Performer
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:09:15 PM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:06:47 PM by micky »

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »
Try uploading to photobucket. Congrats on your new kettle. There will be more to come.
Still need a 22” yellow

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 04:57:49 PM »
Thanks -- you are probably right about that.  I did try the photobucket route, using their iphone app.  I can upload the photo there, but can't figure out how/where to attach the photobucket upload into my post here.  I've tried to read about how to do it in posts here (and I know you can't do it via Quick Reply), but can't seem to locate the necessary buttons on the new post page as I'm writing it.  I will persevere.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 05:01:56 PM »
Bring the pic up after upload. Click the i in a circle. Copy the img link and paste in your response here.
Still need a 22” yellow

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »
Well I see what you mean now! -- thank you!  Somehow it got into one of my earlier posts above here, but all good.  So that's my new love!  I'll hope to figure out it's vintage and how to get it looking presentable again.  Can't wait!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 05:18:58 PM »
Nice find!
To find out its vintage, there is a two letter date code on the top vent. The is an age guide accessible from the banner. I don't know too much about the performers but there is also some historical information about them on the home page.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 05:22:50 PM »
Nice. I made the same mistake when I found mine. That's not a performer. It's an even more elusive One Touch Platinum. Very nice sir.
Still need a 22” yellow

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 05:28:06 PM »
As far as upgrades, let @zavod44 help you out with a wood handle, some lid rollers and a vent tab.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:30:16 PM by TheDude »
Still need a 22” yellow

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 05:31:27 PM »
For how old it is at the top of the page is a link that says "Age guide" click on it and it will have all of the vent codes listed, the vent code on your Grill is on the top vent on the lid and it will have one or two letters such as K or DA.

So you know that your Grill is actually a Platinum and not a Performer, it still is a great grill for sure I have two one is my dedicated Rotisserie set up. I see I'm slow on the draw!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 05:36:16 PM »
Thank you !  I'd read about the codes here awhile back but forgot about it -- thanks!  I've got "DA" so it's 2001 (or at least the lid is!).  I dont think I'm real clear on the differences between Platinum and Perfotrmer models -- thanks for telling me so I can find out!  And I'm definitely going to out-check those wood handles, rollers, and tabs; thanks for providing the lead on @zavod44.

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 05:39:40 PM »
I did notice that the frame seemed shorter than the Performers I'd previously seen, but the table top itself seems big enough.  Eventually I will find my SS Performer, but this will serve until then. It has a hairline crack in the table but still seems sturdy.  I would like to replace the table top with a wooden one, or ?

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 05:46:24 PM »
I did notice that the frame seemed shorter than the Performers I'd previously seen, but the table top itself seems big enough.  Eventually I will find my SS Performer, but this will serve until then. It has a hairline crack in the table but still seems sturdy.  I would like to replace the table top with a wooden one, or ?
On one of mine the table was cracked so when I refurbed the one above I ordered the replacement from Weber it was about $60 or so I like it better than the original as they were prone to cracking.  A wood table would look great I would think so something to think about eh?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 07:15:41 AM »
Yes wood.  I'm not a woodworker, but hoping to find or conjure a good easy mod that my husband can make.  Thanks 1911Ron.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 07:25:59 AM »
I've been thinking about a wood table on mine as well. Only problem, is if the grill is going to see any weather. Mine stays covered, but outside. That still allows a fair amount of moisture to get to it. I think it would warp pretty easy.

Not as much an issue if kept indoors, but would still have to be seasoned regularly.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:27:52 AM by TheDude »
Still need a 22” yellow