Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: G'rilla Que  (Read 8032 times)

madbbq

• Smokey Joe
G'rilla Que
« on: September 04, 2015, 10:12:01 AM »
I will be trying this out for the first time this weekend.  I'm sure I will not be disappointed.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
Re: G'rilla Que
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 11:47:54 AM »
tease
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

madbbq

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 12:06:19 PM »
I will be posting pics during and after.  Has anyone ever used one before?

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 04:27:24 PM »
Never even heard of it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 04:57:44 PM »
Looks like another one of those damn contraptions: http://www.changonbbq.com/#!the-grillaque/c1abc

Appears nearly identical to the other one, slow and sear?

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 06:04:17 PM »
These gadgets probably work but you can get the same results with Weber charcoal rails and/or a Weber charcoal baskets.  It is simple to set up two zone with the rails to do low and slow or high heat searing.  You can also do low and slow with one basket or high heat searing with one or two baskets.  With two baskets you get as much heat as you will ever need.  For a slow cook, last week I got a 5 hour burn with one basket.  I am not sure why anyone would buy the gadgets that I see here.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 08:43:16 AM »

I am not sure why anyone would buy the gadgets that I see here.

Well, I will give you my take.  It is true that you can accomplish the same functions in cheaper/different ways.  You can smoke on a kettle.  Using the same logic, why would anyone ever by a WSM?

I am excited that many people are coming out with new ideas and products for charcoal BBQ.  Having multiple ways to cook great food is a positive thing, and I believe it gets more people involved in kettle cooking as well as increasing the frequency that existing kettle owners use their Webers.  Some of these products will succeed, others will fail, but I personally choose to support these businesses by spending my money on products that I think are good ideas.   Yes, some ideas don't appeal to me, but I try to respect the idea that what I may find a waste of money, someone else may truly enjoy and as a result, use their Weber more often.

@madbbq
Please post a review and let us know how it works.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 03:23:14 PM »
Winz, I see your point, and to be fair I do have my share of grills and backyard barbecue toys.  It becomes a hobby and when you think of it a few dollars here and there does not amount to much and it is a lot of fun trying new accessories and techniques, that is why we are here on this forum. I also respect that others have the ingenuity to take basic concepts and create new products.  I also think it worthwhile to share experiences to help others and point out that the kettle and the related inexpensive accessories provided by Weber are very effective if used properly.

Let's see a review of the G'rilla Que.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 04:57:32 PM by BBQ Jack »

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 04:05:34 PM »
The Weber kettle can do all of this without any gadgets, bricks and other things I have seen here. People make things to complicated and think they need all these gizmos to make good food. To each their own.

The reason to buying a WSM I would say is more room without having the meat directly over charcoal

Winz

• WKC Ranger
G'rilla Que
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 04:27:11 PM »
It becomes a hobby and when you think of it a few dollars here and there does not amount to much and it is a lot fun trying new accessories and techniques, that is why we are here on this forum.
I also think it worthwhile to share experiences to help others and point out that the kettle and the related inexpensive accessories provided by Weber are very effective if used properly.

This !

Full disclosure - I have a slow and sear on order.  Should be here by the weekend and I am excited to give it a test run.  : )

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

madbbq

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 08:49:25 AM »
Thanks for all the reply's and inputs. I agree, to each his own.  I'm a type of person that likes to try new things.  One of the reasons I bought a Weber Kettle.  I never owned one and heard about how good they were so i went and purchased one when i needed a new grill.  Since i have one and have seen all the things it can do and do with I felt the need to try them out.  I also have a smokeator and was thinking about the sns but since it was used on both the 22 and 26 i figured it would be a bit over sized for my 22.  That is why i went with the G'rilla Que.

Happy grilling!!!!!!!!!!  I will post pics from my rib cook in the cooking forum.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 08:58:46 AM »
There are a million gadgets/methods to cooking on a weber. While I won't invest in all of them I am always excited to read about another persons experience with said gadget. I learned to cook by reading/stealing others ideas/tips and now have my own methods! I look forward to the review.
Hotty Toddy!

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 09:44:25 AM »
I agree with the sentiments about good ideas and encouraging innovation, etc.

But $90 for a divider to set up a 2 zone?  Yikes.  There are good ideas, and then there is the exit off the highway with the sign that says "a fool and his money..."

I'm not beating you up, OP, for choosing to buy one. I just don't see $90 worth of value add for a gadget like this.  That's just me.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

madbbq

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 02:01:50 PM »
I hear ya LaTuFu.  $90 is a bit high but i got it for $75 as they were running a special coupon code when i purchased it.  Of course, I would have paid $90 anyway. 

Feed backs of any kind are welcome. 

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 11:23:43 PM »
Interested to see what it's like.....
I just don't get the whole cooking with water/steam thing
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution