Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is this a sequoia?  (Read 5637 times)

dgodwin

• WKC Brave
Is this a sequoia?
« on: August 26, 2015, 04:56:07 PM »
Here's what I can tell you about it:  It doesn't fit in a Pontiac Vibe (1/2" too big) and it's an A code.  I thought it was really cool and bought it not knowing for sure and I can't wait until I can fire it up.  The lid and kettle are really clean, and the ash pan is in good condition too.  If not a sequoia the kettle definitely came from a cart of some sort.  I took the kettle home and will be getting the cart this weekend.   

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Is this a sequoia?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 05:17:26 PM »
Yes it is, nice score congrats!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 05:23:17 PM »
Gorgeous. Beauty find there.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 05:23:43 PM »
Real or not, it looks to be in great shape, congrats

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 05:50:04 PM »
Wow!  Great find!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 05:58:58 PM »
That's looks like it's in incredible shape, great find! If something like showed up in my area I would have pushed it home!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Is this a sequoia?
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 06:35:56 PM »
The bowl appears to have the support straps characteristic of a Sequoia. But I see several differences in that cart and others and I believe that to be a reproduction cart.

It's Nicely done and congrats on a great score , one thing I don't see is the metal strip where the bowl meets the top deck , that strip keeps the wood from getting to hot . I would address that before use

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 06:44:24 PM »
Man, that sure looks close to an original Ida - what else makes you think it's a replica? I see no cut-out in the middle shelf under the grill that most others have but the dimensions of the handles, panels, door/hinge locations etc etc... I did notice the different bracing on the rear side of the front doors. Most have two slats running parallel but that's a tiny detail that could have changed?

No matter how you slice it dgodwin - that is a fantastic cart!! and a sweet find! Congrats!   
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Is this a sequoia?
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 07:30:09 PM »
If you count the top deck boards you'll count 9 . A Sequoia has 12 . The boards on the end that are visible run vertically and not horizontal like most Sequoias,  the handles are lacking the right contour and as you mentioned the doors supports are wrong, Weber used two not three, no cross member. The area where the ash pan should sit is not cut out  and looks to be a shelf all the way across, and finally the magnet latches for the doors are located on the top and not on the bottom like this one.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:31:45 PM by Idahawk »

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 07:45:19 PM »
I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Very nice replica.

*Disclaimer. I wouldn't have known, if not for the others.
Still need a 22” yellow

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 07:46:43 PM »

If you count the top deck boards you'll count 9 . A Sequoia has 12 . The boards on the end that are visible run vertically and not horizontal like most Sequoias,  the handles are lacking the right contour and as you mentioned the doors supports are wrong, Weber used two not three, no cross member. The area where the ash pan should sit is not cut out  and looks to be a shelf all the way across, and finally the magnet latches for the doors are located on the top and not on the bottom like this one.

[emoji47]Good eye!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 02:34:37 AM »
Keep in mind Weber used several different suppliers for the carts over the years. Each one could have put their own spin on the design, or made subtle changes to keep costs down. Different woods were used for sure. And hinges. Al things considered it looks legit to me from what I can see. If not its a nice looking cart.

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 04:10:03 AM »
Here is a pic of a sequoia with a c code tabbed bowl. Looks different than the one  above

Let's keep debating! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 05:01:09 AM »
@dgodwin Throw up some more detailed photos (hinges, wheels, wood grain, etc.) if you get the chance.  This may have been modified during a restoration?  Again, still badass.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 05:16:39 AM »