Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex Question  (Read 1933 times)

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
Vortex Question
« on: August 25, 2015, 07:29:02 AM »
So I was looking at the Vortex and have a question an looking for opinions on it.   First I'll say I do like this for indirect cooking setup it seeps to be pretty versatile.  The question I have is: would it cut down on charcoal consumption as advertised or would it in fact cause more consumption?  If you have the charcoal inside would it not act as a charcoal chimney and burn the charcoal hotter and faster thus consuming more?  Grant it, you would achieve a high heat  zone for sure.  Just not sure that the "save charcoal" to promote this thing would be quite accurate????

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Vortex Question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 09:55:16 AM »
Good question. I have never needed more than one load of charcoal for anything using the small end up for indirect high heat. I think the coals would last longer in the vortex than an expanded metal basket the same size and shape. I have 2 (small and medium) and really like them.

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 02:56:19 PM »
The fuel consumption really would be regulated by how much air your giving it. The benefit is the ability to shake it down and re-use it as it's all remains in the Vortex when shutting down.

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 07:40:33 AM »
I will say that I get total burn up of coals , no left over half burned bricks.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 08:14:44 AM »

You've got an air leak.  The coals should extinguish.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 08:17:26 AM »
Grant it, you would achieve a high heat  zone for sure.  Just not sure that the "save charcoal" to promote this thing would be quite accurate????

What they're trying to say is that you can get a rip roaring sear using fewer coals.  It's not that it makes charcoal last longer or produce more heat per briquette as much as it is that it concentrates the heat so you can use less fuel to begin with.

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 03:05:17 AM »

You've got an air leak.  The coals should extinguish.
[/quote

LOL ya its called open vents