Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jumbo Joe on top of Weber Performer tray?  (Read 3649 times)

ed3120

• Smokey Joe
Jumbo Joe on top of Weber Performer tray?
« on: August 17, 2015, 01:09:16 PM »
I already own a 22" Performer.  I've been thinking about getting a Smokey Joe or a Jumbo Joe for camping.  It would be a more appealing purchase to me if I could also use it at home as a second grill so I can cook two separate things at once.  The Joes don't have stands.  I know I could buy or make something, but I was wondering if I could just set a Smokey Joe or Jumbo Joe on the Performer's tray, or if it would melt it.  Any thoughts?  Horrible idea?

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Jumbo Joe on top of Weber Performer tray?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 01:16:25 PM »
Find a beater kettle and place the SJ on the charcoal grate to use.  This is a SJ, not a JJ.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 01:52:16 PM »
If the Performer table is made from the same material as this table is, I'd say you're ok.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 01:52:53 PM »
The JJs have the usual legs, and keep the coals in the bowl. Should be good to go imo.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 03:25:38 PM »
Go for the Smokey Joe Platinum (aka Outrider), 18.5 in no vents in the bottom, should be pretty safe on most any surface.     I'd love to have one of these for my RV.          SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 04:13:39 PM »
I already own a 22" Performer.  I've been thinking about getting a Smokey Joe or a Jumbo Joe for camping.  It would be a more appealing purchase to me if I could also use it at home as a second grill so I can cook two separate things at once.  The Joes don't have stands.  I know I could buy or make something, but I was wondering if I could just set a Smokey Joe or Jumbo Joe on the Performer's tray, or if it would melt it.  Any thoughts?  Horrible idea?
I think that is a great idea, it should work out fine!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 04:19:39 PM »
The JJs have the usual legs, and keep the coals in the bowl. Should be good to go imo.

Oooops!

As said above, the SLP (nee Jumbo Joe) has the side vent holes. Je regrette beaucoup.  :o

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 07:09:32 PM »
This was one of the reasons I did the table swap on my Performer.  Just wasn't sure if the Thermoset would melt or not.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 08:28:19 PM »
I've used mine on one of my AD tables and the table got warm, not melting warm but I wouldn't want to do that to often
without using some type of tray under the JJ, just as a precaution.. Other than the minor heat issue, it puts the JJ at a
really nice working height.

AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 04:16:16 AM »
If your concerned about heat/falling hot embers melting the table go to home depot and grab the cheapest 18" square tile you can get your hands on (find a ripped box and your budget should be +/- $1 . Use that under your SJ and you're all set.  My Family has used a few remnant tiles to protect a wood deck from chiminea heat/embers for years.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 07:58:46 PM »
  Get a jumbo joe it sets well on a performer table, I'm 6'2" and it feels comfortable to me, so if you are not height deprived it should be ok. Now if you were to get the cajun bandit rotisserie it would be to tall. The only thing I would worry about is it sliding all over the place.
  So get the portable table that weber makes along with the jumbo joe and you're gaining working table space and to those people who would talk you out of not getting the portable table ask if they have one they probably don't so their just guessing. I have one and enjoy the hell out of it.
Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 11:09:31 PM »
I use a metal tray on top of my plastic topped table and under my Jumbo Joe and it works well.