Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: UPDATE: 26.75" OTP ; or Should I Fix This Leg Socket?  (Read 7054 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Re: 26.75" OTP ; or Should I Fix This Leg Socket?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 09:35:09 AM »
What about a ring with brackets on the outside that would fit cart, then the 26" bowl could sit in the ring?

You could interchange the 26 and 22 bowls as needed?

Or you could keep it simple and get a warranty replacement bowl from weber. I get the sentimental value but the best way to honor the sentiment is to cook on it.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »
Maybe i should have said what is your plan to anchor it to the stand

My thought is to use some aluminum 90 angle stock to make brackets. I will bolt the horizontal portion of the brackets to the frame tubes where the current bowl tabs go. The vertical portion of the brackets will be formed to fit around a portion  of the bowl, drill some holes and attach with SS bolts.

Um. Gravity.

Marty, I spilled my coffee all over the desk when I read this!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:19:41 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 03:26:13 PM »
26 OTP gets my vote
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 03:42:15 PM »
The bottom line on the 26er is that I love cooking on it, but I think I will like it better if it is more stable. This can be accomplished if the kettle is mounted to a cart, table, or stand. I am going to attempt to create these brackets out of some scrap material from our shop at work. I will be able to verify the fit and function of the plan before I have to drill anything, so my risk is low. I would be able to use the brackets to mount the 26" bowl on any of my four-legged Webers, so I could leave my OTP for the rotisserie. I have an SS Performer and a recently acquired 2nd gen. Performer that could be candidates for 26" greatness!

And if I don't love it, I can put everything back and deal with the socket.

Unfortunately, I am out of town and it will be next week before I can look at it.  :o
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:43:58 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 05:28:02 PM »
Do the Ranch Kettle Mod and never look back!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 09:26:09 PM »
Do the Ranch Kettle Mod and never look back!
Brian, I have thought about that too. I will have to price out the ranch leg kit.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 09:01:21 PM »
Get a new bowl form Weber. No one is going to know ir care. Raichlen is not that special! He didn't invent the Weber or BBQ.
Maybe if you cooked with him or he autographed it.. Maybe..
Get a new bowl and convert the old one to a Frirepit..
Just my 2 sense.. Do what YOU want..
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 08:10:58 PM »
Get a new bowl form Weber. No one is going to know ir care. Raichlen is not that special! He didn't invent the Weber or BBQ.
Maybe if you cooked with him or he autographed it.. Maybe..
Get a new bowl and convert the old one to a Frirepit..
Just my 2 sense.. Do what YOU want..

This^^ is what I wound up doing.
I spent the hottest August that I can remember out in the garage fiddling around with this, but was never satisfied. My sentimental attachment to my original bowl melted away as the temperature climbed well over 110°.  :o

This almost happened:

Weber C.S. was awesome. The new one arrived in 4 days.
I also find that with the new bowl installed, my 26er stands as firm and steady as my 22 OTG! I had been under the impression that the amount of wobble that I was experiencing was to be expected on the 26. Now I believe that the old bowl was just "outa whack".
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:13:55 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: UPDATE: 26.75" OTP ; or Should I Fix This Leg Socket?
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2015, 05:05:14 AM »
That's a sweet setup! How did you find out that it was used on one of Raichlen's shows? That makes it even more special.

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 06:48:52 AM »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:03:46 AM by TexasOnion »

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 09:02:53 AM »
That's a sweet setup! How did you find out that it was used on one of Raichlen's shows? That makes it even more special.
This 26er popped up on CL in Tucson a couple of years ago. G$ acted as my agent and got the story.
The guy that was selling it had previously run a BBQ/grill store that was no longer in business.  He stated that Raichlen's show had used some grills from his store when they were shooting in Tucson. The front handle of this grill had been autographed, but it had also been used, and was dirty. The ink pretty much washed off with the dirt.
The Zavod44 handles look and work better anyhow!

The mount on the SS frame could work, but the mounts that I worked up weren't the right material for a final product. The bowl also sat too high to mount the gas assist.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 10:24:53 PM »
Hummmmmm,  sounds like you need a home-made custom wooden "Sequoia"-like cart ???           SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 07:44:12 PM »
Hummmmmm,  sounds like you need a home-made custom wooden "Sequoia"-like cart ???           SJ

Hell yeah!
Still need a 22” yellow