Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is this rust in my grill?  (Read 2761 times)

fl01

• Happy Cooker
Is this rust in my grill?
« on: July 16, 2015, 03:35:08 AM »
I've a new Q3200 and after each BBQ while cleaning the grill with a wire brush those brown stripes appear:

It had never contact with water and I coat it after each clean after each usage.

Has anyone a clue what this is? Is it really rust?

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Is this rust in my grill?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 04:16:15 AM »
No rust, although you may be scraping it a bit too hard.  Put some oil on a rag and wipe it down and you should be fine.

Even though it is porcelain coated oil still makes a difference.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

fl01

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 04:43:42 AM »
Thanks, this let me sleep better ;-)
And I already coat it with oil after each usage. (Did miss somehow the word "oil" in my first post)

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 12:19:58 PM »
I have a Q 3200 for over a year, I know Weber says it is okay to use a wire brush but I would not use it.  Since the grate is in 2 pieces let the grates sit in your kitchen sink in very hot water and soap.  After about a half hour when the water cools you can wipe most things off with a sponge, a Brillo pad can get the rest especially underneath. This works for me and keeps the grates looking like new.  I clean them after each use. I tried a wire brush once and I think it would eventually cause damage to the grates.

fl01

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 05:27:08 AM »
Thanks for the tip, I'll try it also next time.

LostArrow

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 01:47:29 PM »
My theory is the grates develope a polymer coating ( seasoned) over time.
When warming I knock off the chunks with a brush but don't clean otherwise

fl01

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 11:33:30 PM »
Well it's also a question of logistics how to clean the grate. I realized it's not possible for me to clean it the way suggested by BBQ Jack. I've just a allotment garden here in Germany without sink or waste water. However, my current theory is, the brown particles may be simple magic dust I used. Because it increased after I recently used a lot of magic dust dry rub. If so, I'm happy :-)

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 05:23:36 AM »
I had the same thing and yes it is rust... from your wire brush. After you clear the big chunks with a brush wipe off with a paper towel with a little oil on it and it will look like new. I guess the thickness of the grates allow for a larger "palate" for the color to be visible, I never noticed it with any of my kettles.