Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How many kettles have passed through your hands?  (Read 4625 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
How many kettles have passed through your hands?
« on: July 06, 2015, 03:43:16 AM »
We tend to focus on the ones we keep or want to show off, but it would be amazing to estimate the sheer number of Weber kettles this club keeps in circulation. I know some of us (like me) are catch and release types, with an ever-changing rotation of kettles. (Well, I do have a few keepers… ;))

I would estimate I've at one time or another owned at least 50 Weber kettles and gassers. I only have maybe 10 now, so that means the world is 40 kettles richer and the landfills are 40 kettles less full. I can only imagine some of you have seen hundreds of kettles pass through your hands.  :o Really incredible when you think of the total number of Weber kettles touched by the entire club!

So what's your estimate? 50? 100? 1,000?

tb80

• WKC Ranger
How many kettles have passed through your hands?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 04:17:27 AM »
I actually keep a list of my webers and their date and model in my phone.   According to my notes, 14 weber grills (including one gasser) are either in my possession or have been in my possession at some point in the past three years ( which is when I got my first weber).   I know it is not as many as most people on here, but it is a start. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: How many kettles have passed through your hands?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 04:30:44 AM »
I keep a spreadsheet and it looks like I have had about 52 come and go (most still have). I know several others have had way more than I...

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 06:12:02 AM »
I keep a spreadsheet too, without looking at it, I have had about 120 grills pass through my hands in 4 years.

80 gassers
1 kamado
40 kettles

Of note on the kettles
1964 Texan in Australia now - WKC member @kendoll
early 70's cado in Texas - WKC member purchased I agent @MaxBobcat
early 70's Lime in Ontario Can - WKC member @MrHoss
early 60's Glen Blue in BC Can - WKC member purchased I agent @SixZeroFour
1993 Blue Master-Touch - WKC member @indy82z

Current cool kettles that I have not had the heart to sell
1995 1 of 10 Detroit Lions NFL Edition Master-Touch
1969 26" Aristocrat

I love agenting and passing on kettles to other members.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 07:59:50 AM »
Oh boy, making me think this morning!

I have sold/traded/given 12 Webers (10 kettles and 2 gassers) to members or other friends.

The current Weber inventory in my garage is 19 charcoal and 4 gas units. So that's 23.
Oops, I forgot 2 incomplete parts kettles in the attic... so 25.  :o

(I hope to move 8 of the Webers in the current inventory to the sold/traded/given category fairly soon.  ;) )

That makes 37 Weber cookers that I own or have owned in the last three years.   8)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 09:15:07 AM »
I've restored and given away 10 beauties in the last year (I'm new to the disease).  I currently have 8 - some to give away, some keepers.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 10:36:44 AM »
Wow. Great question.

I never really thought to keep track of the ones that I chose not to keep or agented for.

There would have to be more than a dozen kettles, SJPs, and WSMs that I can remember. My count from memory is 14.

Yes, I have bought and sold WSMs that didn't stay in the herd.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 05:30:51 PM »
Like @Uncle JJ I'm fairly new to the itis but in the past year I've upgrade and diversified a bit.

Bought 3 OTS  all sold
2 OTG sold one/kept one as a second kettle/primary pizza cooker
4-performers sold 2 two gave one to FIL 
1-18" WSM kept
1-18" bar-b-kettle kept as tailgate grill but may sell

I also have two SJ's that were bought for my mini WSM. I really could sell of of them too.

If I can travel with the 22" then I will probably part with an SJ and 18" kettle.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 07:45:58 PM »
Most of the kettles I've encountered have been ones that I've purchased specifically for friends, cleaned/rehabbed, and then passed on.  So they are more 'touched' by me that 'passed through my hands'.  Typically if I call for parts I go ahead and register the grill with Weber (this helps me get parts in the future).  So now when I call Weber the CS person will chuckle at the long list... the other day the person actually choked a little bit.

I'd guess my number is somewhere around 30 in total.  And I enjoy cleaning them up now more than I ever did before. 
One of the charcoal people.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 09:02:51 PM »
Great post.  I would guess probably 80. Back in the pre wkc days I picked up every kettle I could.  My wife called it grill adoption.  I probably blew 500 bucks on grills and grates.  All my il friends have kettles now though :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

AFSOC

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 07:02:14 AM »
I bought my first kettle, a season old OTS last month at a yard sale for $5 to give to my son when he moves out.  I gave it a good cleaning, cooked on it once and immediately upgraded it to a "gold style" catch pan and gourmet grate.  In the past three weeks I have (quite successfully) smoked a bone-in turkey breast and an 8lbs Boston Butt.  I'm hooked, I am scouring Craigslist daily and watching curbs on trash day.  Last night I brought home a OTG in good condition for $20.

I am at two but don't envision that number remaining stable. 

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 07:46:10 AM »

I am at two but don't envision that number remaining stable.

Amen.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 08:46:45 AM »
My numbers are seasonal, I find a lot come in during fall and winter and then I look around and decide to move some out in the summer.  Then you think about the number of weber items you have given as gifts for people.  I am in the 40 to 50 area of kettles lifetime and am in the process now of clearing out some inventory.  Will be ready for the fall for all those people who bought it and just don't use it and want to sell it.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 08:50:08 AM »
fourty too many. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 03:17:49 AM »
WOW! Marty. I'd say I have no clue. But I do try and snap a pick of everyone. It has to be way up there. 50 or more.
A Wonderful Family!!!