Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Favorite Rubs  (Read 7778 times)

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
Favorite Rubs
« on: July 03, 2015, 04:34:50 PM »
I haven't seen a thread on this topic and I think it's an under rated one. I've always been one to make my own rubs, primarily the texas style salt and coarse pepper base with a few peripheries like granulated garlic, onion, paprika, cumin, cayenne etc.

As far a supermarket rubs go, I've never been impressed. A lot of the offerings from McCormick and even weber (hate to say it) aren't that good. One exception I've found is McCormick's Applewood rub, friends and family love it and I always keep some on hand when I'm feeling lazy.

So what are you guys using for rubs and where are you getting them?

blieb

• WKC Brave
Re: Favorite Rubs
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 05:12:51 PM »
I'm a total amateur ... I just call it experimentation:

• I really like Sticky Fingers Dry Rub.  I'll buy a couple paprika jugs and make large amounts of the stuff.
  • I was using Alton Brown's Baby-Back rub with slight variations, but I have not been using sugar as the primary ingredient for a while.  Thinking about getting back on that train again.
  • Sometimes just salt and pepper.
  • When I combine rubs (often), I usually add some coarse love from Montreal Steak (although I liked the Costco steak seasoning better - discontinued).
  • Sometimes I use a local store's (Bradley's Country Store) pork rub, then touch some cayenne and top off with Montreal.   Or some Jack Daniels rub, The Shed, etc.
  • Most often I find that starting with a fine or sugar based rub, then adding more layers helps improve flavor and complexity.  I've had a few instances where a single rub was unimpressive, but combined it shines and is a perfect complement.

Edit: Whoa it's not discontinued!  Just not carried locally ... definitely buying a pack.  Hasn't been in our Costco for a year!
http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%E2%84%A2-Steak-Seasoning-4-pack.product.100047638.html
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 05:14:51 PM by blieb »
Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 05:39:35 PM »
Blieb, thanks for the reply. Sticky fingers definitely looks like it's going to get a try this weekend. It's funny that you mention Alton Brown's rub recipe. It was the first one I tried when I was in high school. My problem with it was the sugar. It seems no matter what the temp you're running it eventually takes on a burnt taste and I've read a lot of articles by experienced chefs who say to stay away from sugar for that reason.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 06:11:37 PM »
@blieb You in Tallahassee? Figured there ain't too many Bradley Country Stores.

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 09:31:07 PM »
@jdefran yes!
I know @bwb is also from Tallahassee.  I wonder if there are others.  Maybe time for a meetup!
Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 09:35:51 PM »
I used to be an extreme rub freak. (in more ways than one, giggity)

I was making my own rubs in large quanities back in the early 2000s.
By 2010 I was catering bbq every other weekend or so and my bbq rub had really evolved into something I was proud of.
It was a pain, and it was expensive to make. I started getting a bit lazy and using some well respected commercial rubs. No one really complained. I was mostly using bbq 3000 from Penzey's (which is also pretty expensive)

Then one day I tried all the rubs from Simply Marvelous. Back then it was a small operation. My wife, kids, and myself fell in love with Sweet Seduction by Simply Marvelous.
I did a big catering job for a friends daughters graudation party and I decided to do half and half. 4 butts with my rub, 4 butts with Sweet Seduction.
Hands down, 80% of the people preferred the sweet seduction over my own. I was a bit hurt, but it was a learning for me.

I started using sweet seduction exclusively and my little catering business got to be so busy that I had to stop (for legal reasons)

I still make my own rubs, but they usually start with a high quality commercial rub.
Simply marvelous: sweet seduction, cherry, pecan, peppered cow are all AMAZING
Big Poppa Smokers: Money, Sweet Money - Freaking BITCHIN!!
Oak Ridge BBQ has some magical rubs too

My advice: don't get cocky. try some of of these respected rubs and be prepared to get blown away.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 02:13:51 AM »
Used Meathead's Memphis Dust  for quite a long while but lately I have been using semi local to me commercial rubs called Big Dick's

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

http://rubsandmore.com/shop/
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

bwb

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 05:09:34 AM »
@jdefran yes!
I know @bwb is also from Tallahassee.  I wonder if there are others.  Maybe time for a meetup!

That could be fun!

On Rubs - try good old Lowerys on your next pork butt.
Every time I do that people rave!
09 Green Performer, 04 Silver Genesis A...

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 12:16:56 PM »
I usually make my own rubs but for when I'm feeling lazy I keep a stash of Pork Stank from Spices Inc it's great on pork butt or ribs.

http://www.spicesinc.com/p-1131-pork-stank.aspx

RobbieMacNS

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 06:52:42 AM »
Rob AKA Chief Tasting Officer of Buddha's Best BBQ
@BuddhasBestBBQ Weber toys ~1996 Kettle 'Red', 2008 18.5 WSM 'Smokey', 2010 18.5 WSM 'Jill', 2012 22.5 WSM 22" 'Baby Brook', 2013 Performer Deluxe 'Black Betty' Other toys ~ 2009 Napoleon Ltd Ed Jack Daniels Prestige 2008 8' Frankenstein Smoker

Texmech

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 06:57:38 AM »
Most of the rubs at the store seem to have more heat than my wife likes. There OK for me, but she does not like the heat that pops out. tried making my own, just basic paprika base with sugar, onion and garlic and that worked OK, but I have to make it. Then one of my daughters sent me some, "Tex Joy" and I used it on some baby back ribs and it was good. I recently ordered some Weber honey garlic in the hopes it would be a sweet flavor without heat, but have not tried it yet.
Tex

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 08:37:06 AM »
I used this stuff for the first time (forget "trust your butcher", trust @Winz ) over the 4th, and man is it good on ABTs and chicken. Of course, ABTs have their own built-in heat, but the sweetness of this rub balanced things out nicely. I'll be using it more as the Summer of WKC continues.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:45:47 AM by MartyG »

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 11:47:03 AM »
I been using the Dizzy Dust Tsunami Rub as one of my main rubs.  I like it on chicken and pork but also used on beef.
http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/tsunami-spin/
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 05:26:19 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback, defiantly trying all the recipes and and will look into ordering a few others.

BluesDaddy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 05:47:32 AM »
I've fallen in love with Rod Gray's EAT rubs, but I also like Plowboys' Yardbird and Smokin' Guns Hot. But both EAT rubs have a certain character that adds an extra pop. Really killer.