Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: US trip - recommendations  (Read 5621 times)

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
US trip - recommendations
« on: June 30, 2015, 04:35:09 PM »
So, not sure if this is the right place but it's where @Uncle JJ posted about his trip to Oz. :)

I am visiting the US in a couple of weeks, don't have much free time anywhere but looking for suggeestions from members on places to visit. If anyone is around for a beer that would be sweet too!

So far I have:

New York - 16/7 to 19/7 and 1/8 to 3/8
Keens Steakhouse
Salvation Taco
Chelsea Food Market

KC - 20/7 to 23/7
Q39
Joe's
Stroud's

Houston (visiting friends, only there for a weekend) - 24/7 to 26/7
Killen's

Boston - 27/7 to 31/7
Union Oyster House
Legal Seafoods
James Hook & Co
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
Re: US trip - recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 05:24:01 PM »
Add LC's to your Kansas City list.
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 06:01:15 PM »
Too bad you're not going to be in Chicago Ken, would love to catch up with you.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 06:04:40 PM »
Omaha is just 3 hours from KC...

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 06:10:51 PM »
Cheers @Maxmbob will look in to it. We are catching a Royals game so might pop in there before or after.

Yeah sorry Terry ( @landgraftj ). We went to Chicago back in 2008 (long before this affliction :) ) but I do intend on coming back! Would be great to cacth up with you one day. Hope everything is going well!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 06:29:50 PM by kendoll »

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 06:11:27 PM »
Omaha is just 3 hours from KC...

Hey Craig, so you going to pop over to KC then? :)

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 06:17:27 PM »
There are a lot of great BBQ places in Houston. I had a really great meal at the Brisket House. You can just google top 10 BBQ in Houston and just pick the one closest.

http://www.thebriskethouse.com

Im not sure what the humidity level is like in Australia but Houston in late July is...an interesting experience to say the least.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 06:27:50 PM »
There are a lot of great BBQ places in Houston. I had a really great meal at the Brisket House. You can just google top 10 BBQ in Houston and just pick the one closest.

http://www.thebriskethouse.com

Im not sure what the humidity level is like in Australia but Houston in late July is...an interesting experience to say the least.

You don't have to tell me twice. We were in Houston in July a few years back. Still went out in jeans a few days. :)

I have been to Goode Co., Pizzitola's, and Luling City Market (when we walked out after lunch my sunglasses and camera lens instantly fogged up from the humidity). I loved just standing outside Goode Co. and breathing in that smokey goodness. :)

I will read up on the brisket house. Thanks!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 08:19:51 PM »
Joe's is great.
One of the charcoal people.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 08:46:14 PM »
If you are limited on time in Boston I would skip Legal seafood's. It's just standard american seafood but there's plenty of other amazing places to go to. I love Union Oyster House though! What type of seafood do you like? If you like oysters Neptune Oyster is amazing but the line can get long in the summer.  I would hit up Mike's pastry and Modern Pastry in the North end as well. The good thing about Boston is that it's very walkable. Spend some time in Harvard Yard/Cambridge as well.  I spent 6.5 years there and the wife and I are going back this fall to visit our old spots. Let me know what kind of experience you are looking for and if you need sightseeing tips or itineraries!

Boston food places to go:

Toro- Spanish Tapas
Top of the hub- If you don't want to eat here you can hit up the bar for a great view of the city and Fenway from up top.
Pinnochios- Famous Sicilian hole-in-the-wall Pizza in Harvard Yard
Bartley's Burgers- Famous Burgers in Harvard Yard.
Burdicks- Cafe/Chocolatier/Bakery in Harvard Yard. Mrs. Gummi and Mark Zuckerberg's favorite.
Craigie on Main, sit at the bar for the burger. Make sure it's still available because they used to limit how many are made per night. It's the best burger I've ever had, hands down: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/01/video-the-craigie-on-main-burger-cambridge-boston-ma.html
Anything[urlhttp://barbaralynch.com/] Barbara Lynch[/url], Sportello In For Italian, Butcher Shop for American/ smoked meat, Drink for cocktails, Menton or No.9 Park for $$$ Prix fixe.
Flour Bakery

Gah!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:03:24 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 08:52:37 PM »
LA  so you can get your long lost boxes of grills :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 09:59:07 PM »
If you are limited on time in Boston I would skip Legal seafood's. It's just standard american seafood but there's plenty of other amazing places to go to. I love Union Oyster House though! What type of seafood do you like? If you like oysters Neptune Oyster is amazing but the line can get long in the summer.  I would hit up Mike's pastry and Modern Pastry in the North end as well. The good thing about Boston is that it's very walkable. Spend some time in Harvard Yard/Cambridge as well.  I spent 6.5 years there and the wife and I are going back this fall to visit our old spots. Let me know what kind of experience you are looking for and if you need sightseeing tips or itineraries!

Boston food places to go:

Toro- Spanish Tapas
Top of the hub- If you don't want to eat here you can hit up the bar for a great view of the city and Fenway from up top.
Pinnochios- Famous Sicilian hole-in-the-wall Pizza in Harvard Yard
Bartley's Burgers- Famous Burgers in Harvard Yard.
Burdicks- Cafe/Chocolatier/Bakery in Harvard Yard. Mrs. Gummi and Mark Zuckerberg's favorite.
Craigie on Main, sit at the bar for the burger. Make sure it's still available because they used to limit how many are made per night. It's the best burger I've ever had, hands down: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/01/video-the-craigie-on-main-burger-cambridge-boston-ma.html
Anything[urlhttp://barbaralynch.com/] Barbara Lynch[/url], Sportello In For Italian, Butcher Shop for American/ smoked meat, Drink for cocktails, Menton or No.9 Park for $$$ Prix fixe.
Flour Bakery

Gah!

Thanks for such a detailed response Lawrence. We have been to Boston a few times now and always visit Legal and Union Oyster House -  we love pretty much all shellfish. We usually also spend a good few hours in the Beantown Pub.

We have tickets for Fenway too. :)

I will take a more detailed look at all of those places you have mentioned and try to pick the ones that suit us best. Really appreciate you taking the time to list them all out.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 10:43:04 PM »
Go to Arthur Bryants BBQ when you're in KC. Prepare to spend 2-3hrs waiting in line at Oklahoma Joes BBQ. LC's is very good, highly recommend.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 10:56:16 PM »
Cheers @Maxmbob will look in to it. We are catching a Royals game so might pop in there before or after.

Yeah sorry Terry ( @landgraftj ). We went to Chicago back in 2008 (long before this affliction :) ) but I do intend on coming back! Would be great to cacth up with you one day. Hope everything is going well!

Hello Ken, LC's address is 5800 Blue Parkway, Kansas City, MO. It's about 3 miles from Kaufman Stadium where the Royals play. LC's is a bit of a dive, but they do have good BBQ. Hope you enjoy KC and our Royals.
Bob
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:58:41 AM by Maxmbob »
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 11:01:24 PM »
For NYC, Carnegie Deli for Pastrami and Halal Guys food cart on 53rd and 6th.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791