Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finally got a Grail  (Read 4223 times)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Finally got a Grail
« on: June 29, 2015, 11:37:17 PM »
Ok I know these are fairly common in the states but over here there rare as rocking horse poo. I've only ever seen two since suffering from Weberitis, so when this showed up on Gumtree I was onto it fast.
Unfortunately I was 2nd in line and the seller was a good 12hr drive. After sending out texts to the local Grillfellas letting them know I was on it I received a text back from @kendoll  saying he was first in line and his father lived close. Unfortunately he was unable to get it due to being on holidays
I explained to Ken that I'd been searching for one for ages and had even contacted @zavod44  and @reillyranch  about finding one for me in the states. They put me in contact with @harris92 who offered me a beautiful MBH but the Aussie dollar being what it is and shipping being so expensive I decided it was to rich for me. Ken then offered to get his dad to agent and give me the grill for what he paid , $20!!!! Well I was over the moon to say the least. Then we hit a snag , the BBQ was the sellers dad's who recently passed away and he decided to keep the grill for sentimental sake. I was cool with that and asked if he ever decided to sell would he consider selling to me. Anyway 2 weeks went by and the seller text me that he wanted to get rid of it and was I still interested. I replied with yes but I'm interstate and would need to get a courier to pick it up. He said he wasn't interested in shipping and unless I could pick it up it was going back on Gumtree. I then offered him $50, so that's $20 for the grill and $30 to box it up but he still wasn't interested. Even though I explained to him all he would have to do was put it in a box and a courier would pick it up from his house and he didn't even need to be home he just had to leave it at his front door on pick up day. So he put it back on Gumtree and I had to watch it sitting there unable to pick it up. That as most Grillfellas know is insufferable!!! This went on for a week and then Ken'sfather returned home and Ken made arrangements for pick up. Phew!!! I was finally going to get my hands on my Grail!!! This is where it gets even better, Ken's father was coming down to Sydney in a couple of weeks and would be able to bring it with him. Yes No Courier Costs!!! So Ken had it delivered to his house now I just had to make the drive to Ken's which was an hour and a half away. Luckily @JayCee  jumped in. He works with Ken and offered to pick it up and bring it back to the coast. I only live 10mins for Jaycee so this was a perfect outcome.
So a huge thanks to all my U.S. friends who helped me find one last year and Jaycee who delivered it and a massive thanks to Kendoll for selflessly offered it and organised pick up and delivery. He offered it even though he wanted one for his collection.
The friendships I've made and generosity I've received from everyone on this site is what keeps my enthusiasm for this hobby alive!
Here's some pics of pre resto and post resto
and with my other reds

After resto

And with my 18 A code

And with my other reds

I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Finally got a Grail
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 11:44:19 PM »
Great effort all around and congrats!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 12:38:13 AM »
Thanks Ron. I also wanted to add that Weber bbqs only started being sold  in Australia from around 1975 and even then only a few were shipped in for sale so any MBH of any colour found over here is special from a collectors point of view
Even though I've had a few older kettles shipped over there's something special about finding an old one in your backyard
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 12:55:25 AM »
Score!!!  That is a great looking kettle and fits perfectly in your collection.  It was meant to be!

Ken - awesome gesture on your part. Very cool.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 01:54:33 AM »
massive find in oz

dime a dozen in the usa

kudos @kendoll

congrats @Hogsy

nice @JayCee
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 04:00:58 AM »
Great story and beautiful grill! Ken, seems like you went above and beyond, especially when it was a grill you wanted. Nice guys...nice!

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 04:20:27 AM »
congrats @Hogsy

that's 4 nice reds sitting there.
I only use kettles with lid bales.

lemisfits

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 05:30:09 AM »
Congrats, nice  looking Irish family there.
Looking for a lime or imperial blue...in my dreams.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 05:42:09 AM »
Very nice....loved reading the story.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 06:13:42 AM »
That story right there is what it's all about …. IMHO.  Thanks for sharing. :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 06:28:30 AM »
Sweet!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 06:55:35 AM »
Really cool , great grill and great teamwork !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 07:21:24 AM »
Congrats @Hogsy!  I saw clips on the ash pan and thought its gotta be a B and sure enough.... That red is pretty sweet! Great teamwork guys!

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 07:29:48 AM »
Great story and great get!  I had the pleasure of meeting Ken & JayCee when I was in OZ.  Two fine people - not surprised they pitched in to help get 'er done!  Well played, gents!

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 04:16:12 PM »
Cheers @Hogsy , I know it is in safe hands.
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA