Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Estate Sale Advice Needed  (Read 4449 times)

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
Estate Sale Advice Needed
« on: June 23, 2015, 08:21:26 AM »
I have never been to estate sale but I have always heard about people doing really well at them.  I was just looking for some advice from those who have gone and some things to be aware of.  Are prices negotiable?   Are they more expensive than garage sales?

Thanks!

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
Re: Estate Sale Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 09:05:28 AM »
be first in line and be tight lipped about what your there for

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 09:25:04 AM »
Typically, there is a set price. Sundays are usually 1/2 off, or prices are a bit more negotiable. As far as more expensive... depends on what you're looking at/for, and how knowledgable about said item/items the person/company running the estate sale is.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 09:56:35 AM »
Might wanna balance the fact that the family may be trying to recoup some funds to pay for a funeral or other family catastrophe...with trying to get a good deal. I personally try to be tactful with negotiations. Generally it's a third party company that comes in and handles everything so the emotional side isn't so much a big deal but haggling in these situations leaves a skeevy taste in my mouth. Just my opinion...I could be wrong
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 10:22:38 AM »
Might wanna balance the fact that the family may be trying to recoup some funds to pay for a funeral or other family catastrophe...with trying to get a good deal. I personally try to be tactful with negotiations. Generally it's a third party company that comes in and handles everything so the emotional side isn't so much a big deal but haggling in these situations leaves a skeevy taste in my mouth. Just my opinion...I could be wrong

I have never gone to one before for this exact reason, the skeevy taste.  It makes me feel a little strange, that I'm rummaging through someones life long possessions.

Good Tip thanks!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 08:46:56 PM »
It's not that bad. I personally head straight for the kitchen and look for cool cooking gear..cast iron and old knives. Older stuff was build way better than newer stuff.

Then I head to garage. Tools. Ladders. Old school Christmas decorations. Possible grill scores. Outdoor cooking stuff.

Back inside for art and pottery. Midcentury furniture.

I like going to estate sales. Love it actually. Has a strange voyeuristic quality to it.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 09:11:34 PM »
Been to a few myself and have to agree with Tex on that point, get there early and stay quiet about your wish list.
Make a quick lap through and if you can, carry what you want to the seller and ask them to hold it while you
continue to shop. If you feel you need to or can haggle prices then do it after you corralled up everything
you want to get. IF you want to get something that you can't easily haul up to the seller's location like the
dining room table, then let the seller you want it and have them mark it off their item list for you..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 09:47:21 PM »
Get to what you want ASAP, sit on it, haggle if you can, and get someone to slap a 'SOLD' sign on it. 

I generally head straight for the deck/patio/garage to look for vintage Webers, then once I've secured what I want I go to the kitchen for treasures there (anyone savvy enough to have a sweet Weber probably had some cool kitchen gear as well).  Then I find the bookshelves to look for cookbooks, Weber catalogs, etc..  Then into the garage for tools. 

As has been said, it's usually 3rd party sellers who are running the show, so there is a separation of emotion.  But sometimes when family is involved, they are wisely motivated to sell stuff off, and quick (I bought my first secondhand grill, a red K OT+, for $10).  Still, it's always good to be respectful and friendly when haggling.

One of the charcoal people.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 09:50:03 PM »
Also, I agree that it can feel a bit creepy to be sorting through someone else's earthy treasures.  But on the other hand, everything I've purchased at an estate sale gives me pause, and I *always* think of them when I use that item.  Knives, grills, skillets, pans, cufflinks, tool boxes, tools.  To me, that's a tribute.  I hope someone thinks as much of my life and my stuff when I am gone...

I am sitting at a desk right now, which I purchased from an adult son... belonged to his mother and father, and he helped me load it into the station wagon and I shook his hand and thanked him for it.  I have her stainless steel pan in the kitchen, too, and I think of her every time I cook for my family with it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 09:53:19 PM by mike.stavlund »
One of the charcoal people.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 10:03:24 PM »
Loose lips looses kettles!  ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 07:30:00 AM »
Are there usually price tags on things or do you have to ask?

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 08:26:23 AM »
Are there usually price tags on things or do you have to ask?

Everything is typically tagged. If not, just ask.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 08:40:19 AM »
Thanks a lot for all the great advice.  I knew if I asked on here I would get some good experienced advice.  Really appreciate all the tips!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 09:39:51 AM »
Also...pricing discounts as sale goes thru the weekend. Around here sales generally start thursday or Friday. As the weekend progresses they may say 25% off saturday..and 50% Sunday OBO.

So if your on the fence over a big item or something and don't care if you get it either way...wait till Sunday and go back. Might get a super deal

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 12:11:16 PM »
Also, I agree that it can feel a bit creepy to be sorting through someone else's earthy treasures.  But on the other hand, everything I've purchased at an estate sale gives me pause, and I *always* think of them when I use that item.  Knives, grills, skillets, pans, cufflinks, tool boxes, tools.  To me, that's a tribute.  I hope someone thinks as much of my life and my stuff when I am gone...

I am sitting at a desk right now, which I purchased from an adult son... belonged to his mother and father, and he helped me load it into the station wagon and I shook his hand and thanked him for it.  I have her stainless steel pan in the kitchen, too, and I think of her every time I cook for my family with it.

I like your style Mike.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"