Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS Performer / Old performer regulator 5lb tank upgrade overhaul  (Read 5535 times)

CCP Performer

• Smokey Joe
All,

I have been a fortunate recipient of knowledge by many of you by reading the valuable posts on this forum, now it's my turn to give back.

I received a hand me down SS Performer from my Father-In-Law a couple years ago when they were downsizing and preferred to exclusively use their Weber 3 burner gasser. I couldn't stand to see it thrown away, so I said I'd take it. The old performer was tired but a little unique in that it was a gift to my Father-In-Law from the Stephen's family who he had been doing some work with many years prior. The lid was custom lettered with his name on it from the factory, but it became a little "out-of-round" as it must have fallen at some point and had a dent on one side so it didn't sit flush, and the gas starter also didn't work.

Soon after I took possession my Father-in-Law was over for dinner one weekend and I was cooking dinner on it and he looked at it and said "this isn't right, that's not your name and the lid doesn't fit, maybe we can get a new lid, let me make a call Monday morning".

Soon after that we learned the color was no longer available and I was asked what color I'd like, and what font & lettering I wanted, then I was given instructions and directions to bring the old tired Performer to a non-descript building in Palatine, IL and ask for Bob Stephen, who couldn't have been nicer. He said he'd take care of it and give me a call when it was ready.

About 5 days later I go back and pick it up, and sitting in the old frame is a brand new kettle with my name on the lid- complete with grates, ash catcher, and charcoal holders. I was in heaven! I get it home and go to use it and quickly see that everything else is still original- burner tube, ignitor, regulator, and 5lb tank. The gas starter didn't work before and still didn't work. I ordered a new burner tube and ignitor, installed them, still wouldn't work. Regulator’s rarely go bad, so I think it can’t be that! Did some research and learned the OPD valve on the tank might be old and tricky, so I VERY slowly crack the value open ever so slightly and I hear gas rushing so I hit the ignitor button and magically there is now a flame at the burner tube. Something didn't seem right though as I still smelled a little whiff of gas occasionally. I know, I can hear you all screaming “STUPID!”, but it was working!

I used it that way for a few months until guess what…… the (expired) tank runs empty, which is probably a blessing in hindsight.  It was working, so it can’t be the regulator , so I consider buying a new 5lb tank, but the “quick connect thing” is still on the regulator and I didn’t want to buy a new $55 tank and retrofit the regulator connection. Hence I consider retrofitting to use the 1lb disposable tanks, thought that might be convenient to buy a few bottles to keep on hand and there was already a valve on the tube side of the regulator already for a shutoff. Reading the forums I learned I could buy a part to attach to the regulator to connect to the 1lb tank, so I do. As soon as I connect it, gas starts rushing out like crazy and I smell it strongly and quickly unscrew it. It can’t be the regulator, they never go bad! 

I cruise to True Value a couple days ago and they have a connection that will fit into the regulator and connect to a standard LP tank fitting. That’s what I’ll do, since I already have like three 20lb tanks sitting around and I don’t mind lugging one and sit it next to the grill while I start the lump, that’ll be fine. I get home and attach the new connection to the regulator and guess what, still hear hissing and smell gas. Since the regulator and tank are sitting in broad daylight on my patio and not under the cover of the performer frame, I can really investigate and see what is going on. I discover it’s coming out a small pin sized hole in the regulator that clearly should be there. A little more research and I learn the regulator is bad. 

I go back to True Value yesterday to see about buying a new regulator and fit it to the existing hose, learn that’s not really an option. What I did find is a basic regulator with a typical compression fitting on the end of the hose and obviously a standard propane tank connection. They also have a brass part that is intended to fit a compression fitting on one side and a male NPT fitting on the other, think gas grill manifold connection. Hmmmm, I have an idea, so I bought both pieces . Back at home I disconnect the brass orifice elbow which fits into the burner tube and connect all the pieces together, hook up to a 20lb tank, crack open the valve hit the ignitor and FINALLY a nice strong flame at the end of the burner tube in the grill and NO gas smell!

As I stand there looking at it, one last thought crosses my mind as I eyeball the tank sitting on the patio next to the SS Performer, that sucker might fit in there! After a little careful “Jenga-like maneuvering”, there sits a 20lb tank snuggly within in the frame of SS Performer, and yes, the charcoal bin is still there as well! This SS Performer is now the most perfect grill in the world!!! I’ll only have to get that tank refilled like once every few years!

Best of all, I can’t wait to fire it up on Father’s Day this Sunday and see the look on my Father-in-Law’s face!

I will post pictures later of everything for reference.

I share this story in detail as I think the SS Performer is a true classic and if my story helps one person with their upgrade/conversion it's worth it. It’s a workhorse with a near perfect design, it’s very functional and makes lighting a lump quick and easy. My 3 burner Weber gasser is going to get very lonely!

Link to similar brass fitting to connect to orifice elbow piece that goes into burner tube:
http://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Metals-Compression-Fitting-Half-Union/dp/B0070TUF7C

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:39:15 PM by CCP Performer »

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: SS Performer / Old performer regulator 5lb tank upgrade overhaul
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 07:32:56 AM »
Nice write up..looking forward to the pics..

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 08:03:18 AM »
Very much looking forward to seeing the pictures of your custom kettle.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 09:17:48 AM »
Very cool !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 09:24:05 AM »
Great work...can you send pics and detailed part number listing and a diy.

Theres probably more than a few of us whom would like to implement this mod
Grills

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 04:17:48 PM »
Very much looking forward to seeing the pictures of your custom kettle.

Winz

Yes !!!!

A "One of a Kind" if there ever was one, eh?

Great story & thank you !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 04:48:19 PM »
Thanks for all the info! I have a feeling I'll need to do this soon.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 07:06:13 PM »
Good stuff... can't wait to see the Pics! Pic! Pics! 
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

CCP Performer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
I updated the original post with pics. If anyone wants more detail or pics, I'm happy to do it just let me know.

I appreciate the appreciation posted already! :)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 10:45:50 PM »
That is cool a custom lid, very nice!  I love my SS Performers a lot!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 10:46:03 PM »
Great story and mod. Welcome to WKC where you will fit right in!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 03:22:28 AM »
Thank you and nice kettle...
something tells me regulator sales are gonna go skyhigh over the next month and true valu will be out of stock on those items in the next few weeks....
Grills

CCP Performer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
It was only $26 in parts, pretty sweet deal.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 12:34:57 PM »
I think your right the SS Performer is the worlds greatest grill.

What color was it before the swap?
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

CCP Performer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 03:13:18 PM »
It was a maroon color.  Hmmmm, I wonder if my Father-in-Law has a picture, then I could post a before/after. I'll work on it.