Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Daisy wheeler or one touch preference  (Read 5325 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Daisy wheeler or one touch preference
« on: June 04, 2015, 01:04:05 PM »
Which damper system do you prefer

Im getting close to having a daisy wheeler in cooking condition..

Any preferences on which damper system.

Also suggestions on a hardware replacement for the daisy wheeler vent system..i need to replace mine.. (not the dampers but the fasteners)
Grills

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Daisy wheeler or one touch preference
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 04:29:57 PM »
I don't know anything about daisy wheels but isn't it just a rivet? If it is, you can just get another rivet and use a speed washer to attach it. Speed washers look like this and you can find them at some Ace stores: http://www.indmowing.com.au/catalog/images/STUFF%20004.jpg

I'm sure others have better suggestions. That just came to mind. Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 04:46:32 PM by AZ Monsoon »

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 04:43:07 PM »
Mine are all daisy wheelers.

Not that means anything, but it does pretty much indicate my preference.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 05:07:45 PM »
Yeah..they are rivets..but the rivets on the dampers are pretty dang big....replacement weber dampers comes with nut and self locking nut
Grills

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 06:12:48 PM »
I have both and actually like the 3 wheeler (Daisy wheel) better.  It allows for more control over the air flow into the kettle. 
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

Craig

• WKC Mod
Daisy wheeler or one touch preference
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 06:15:55 PM »
I have both, i prefer the Daisy wheels actually. I like to cook with only 1-2 of the bottom vents open. I rarely open the rear vent. The One Touch is nice but I have/use a Happy Cooker internal pan for the Daisy kettles. Most of the time, sometime I'll forget to grab it and just bareback it the old fashioned way. One cook doesn't hurt an ash pan if I do a quick wash the next day or so after. But I like the temperature control of the old school daisy vents. Having said that, I do use my Master Touch's and OTG regularly too, especially on windy days, the OTG/MT's are first string for sure and the Daisy wheelers are not an option.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:20:33 PM by Craig »

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 06:23:36 PM »
One touch.
By a great margin.
I can control Temps with vents and/or by how much fuel I use.

I can take the food off, hold two plates, close top vent with pinky,  close bottom with toes,  go inside and eat.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 06:55:06 PM »
One Touch for me. Mainly for the cleaning up feature.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 06:58:16 PM »
The only 3-wheeler I've used is the 18 I inherited. The holes can clog with ash during a cook and I try to keep "a BBQ stick" handy to poke up through the holes while cooking. Other than that it's fine. Well, one of the dampers got kludged up with greasy junk and now barely moves, gotta get out and clean that this summer. So there's that. And daisy wheels WILL be prone to "yanking" while moving which limits their effective damping and ya gotta hope you can bend them back.

So I think there's a lot more day-to-day hassle with them, but yes they do offer finer heat/airflow control and could potentially last the life of the kettle; that'll never happen with any One Touch unless possibly you're lucky enough to have stainless steel One Touch sweeps.

Easier to use the Weber WSM scoop for the ashes on the 3-wheeler. Pick your poison, collect them all.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 08:16:00 PM »
I am probably the greatest proponent of the Weber One-Touch system. As much as I love Weber products, I hate the 3 wheel daisy vent system. This is 2015. The 3 wheel vent system is out-dated 1950's technology. I don't like reaching up underneath a scorching hot kettle bowl, trying not to burn myself in the process, having to turn three small metal tabs that are still even hotter, burning my fingers all the while having to hold the hot metal tab long enough to fine tune the exact spot where I want it.

I have no way of visually confirming exactly how far I have actually adjusted the vent because from my vantage point, I can't see the open vent hole unless I get down on the ground and look up into the underside of the kettle. The one touch system is by far, without question, a far better tool for controlling the air flow. Weber needs to place a bar graph on the ash bucket mounting ring above the one-touch control arm to show the precise location where a fully opened/completely closed vent is and all incremental points in between.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »
One touch.
By a great margin.
I can control Temps with vents and/or by how much fuel I use.

I can take the food off, hold two plates, close top vent with pinky,  close bottom with toes,  go inside and eat.

That sounds like "ballet"....... 8)

I get what Ramsfan & others are saying about the wheels....it can be hard to use them....

I like & use both equally....the 3-wheels, often I'll look thru the top & see where it's at, move with the charcoal tongs & be just fine........or, just a quick bump with a knuckle......sometimes, I just leave them open & cook to the amount of fuel for what's going............

O/T's are, to me, sometimes just a tad harder to get exactly where I want 'em......practice for being less picky that day, I guess..... :o 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 09:04:04 PM »
One Touch here [emoji106]

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 05:19:24 AM »
For longevity...the daisy wheels are lower cost of ownership...they dont rust out like the one touch systems....?

Ill find out how this daisy wheel system works soon.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:34:13 AM by toolhead »
Grills

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 05:53:24 AM »
+1 on moving the daisy wheels with tongs. A deft sideways tap on them saves burnt fingers, extends reach. As I mentioned above, there's more that can go wrong with daisy wheels during regular use but LESS ultimately that can go wrong with them when you consider One Touch will eventually fail.

I sometimes get a little annoyed not much ash gets expelled with "one touch" of the OT lever. Back and forth, back and forth, same amount comes out each time, back and forth ... almost mostly cleaned out. I no longer worry about the little ash left behind. I can't practically get rid of that anyway.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch