Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New lid vs old lid  (Read 7705 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
New lid vs old lid
« on: June 02, 2015, 05:58:44 PM »
Looking for some reviews here.

Do you prefer new lid 2015 model with heat shield or the decades old standard welded handle lid design
Grills

Erich

• WKC Brave
Re: New lid vs old lid
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 06:03:39 PM »
I like the old design.  But then again, in the music thread, I was accused of being a fossil.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 06:44:50 PM »
I like the old design.  But then again, in the music thread, I was accused of being a fossil.

Right there with ya man......music & old handles, even if they chip around the connections sometimes....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 06:52:44 PM »
Old. The new one you have to worry about tightening the handle too much and scratching or chipping the porcelain. Mine has come loose and needed retightening. I don't mind the looks of the heat shield.

But the placement of the vent is certainly annoying. Cooking indirect and want the vent over the food?  Therms over the fire. Cooking direct? Opposite problem.

Annnnd the lid hook issue. I much prefered the hook being parallel to the handle rather than perpendicular.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 07:24:38 PM by Saugust »
Growing family = growing kettles!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 07:01:39 PM »
Old. The new one you have to worry about tightening the handle too much and scratching or chipping the porcelain. Mine has come loose and needed retightening. I don't mind the looks of the heat shield.

But the placement of the vent and s certainly annoying. Cooking indirect and want the vent over the food?  Therms over the fire. Cooking direct? Opposite problem.

Annnnd the lid hook issue. I much prefered the hook being parallel to the handle rather than perpendicular.

^^^^^ This one single post needs to be sent to Weber.......many times until they understand the folly of this change......

a lot of things are  really good about the new models.....a few things are not....... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

minnesotaman82

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 07:28:41 PM »
I like the heat shield on my master touch. Much easier on my hands compared to my OTG. I don't mind bolt on handles either. I hated the rust that would always form around the welds on the old lids. But I agree that there needs to be a better bolt/washer mechanism to attach the new handle to the lid. I was very careful about how tight I screwed on the handle, because I didn't want to scratch the lid, but I can already feel it start to loosen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 07:31:01 PM »
Obviously the vent and therefore the hook were already oriented this way on 18s and  it doesn't bother me at all. But the lid is so much bigger on the 22s that you have reach too far down, for me anyway, to get the hook to the bowl.

On top of this, the lid feels much more secure in my hands when hanging on the hook with the old orientation. I think of it like pouring a pitcher of beer. Can you imagine trying to hit your mark if the handle was turned the other way?

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 07:51:52 PM »
Yeah, the new lid lay out is all wrong.  Hope they get it right next year.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 07:59:50 PM »
I don't like the new bolt-on handle aethetics but the bolt on/off factor is certainly convenient. The welded handle is certainly a classic but lets be honest, the weld/joint area cracks anyway so both will look the same after a while. Attaching fireplace handles would be a good interim for maintaining the old style look and bolt on convenience.

I like the heat shield on my master touch. Much easier on my hands compared to my OTG. I don't mind bolt on handles either. I hated the rust that would always form around the welds on the old lids. But I agree that there needs to be a better bolt/washer mechanism to attach the new handle to the lid. I was very careful about how tight I screwed on the handle, because I didn't want to scratch the lid, but I can already feel it start to loosen.

locknut or wave washer may help?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 03:21:33 AM »
Try the washer with outside teeth...that provides same fastener help as locknut withoutbhavung tobtorque down lock washer which sounds like a concern with porcelain or ss nut with built in teeth/grips..
Grills

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 08:30:37 AM »
Some genius at Weber probably thought it looked better having the lid damper and thermometer on opposite sides of the lid. That person has never used a Weber charcoal grill. It's a regrettable blunder in my opinion, for the reasons mentioned above.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 09:07:01 AM »
Out w/ the new; the old is in.

I didn't see the need for the change in the first place. The therm/vent placement adds to the fiasco.

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 10:58:29 AM »
Ive seen em innthe stores and for some reason...doesnt look great in person.....looks better online images.

Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 11:00:08 AM »
It may be on of those design changes that "grows on you"...?
Grills

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 11:11:38 AM »
Forget about looks. It's the functionality that stinks. Use one and you'll see what I mean.