Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New lid vs old lid  (Read 7703 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New lid vs old lid
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 11:16:03 AM »
Forget about looks. It's the functionality that stinks. Use one and you'll see what I mean.

I have a hard time remembering how 18's work & I have 7 or 8 of them......not likely I'll be buying new.... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 11:25:08 AM »
It may be on of those design changes that "grows on you"...?

Personally, won't like it or use it for the same general reason I don't use temp gauge things with wires running all over.....I'm kinda klutzy & I tend to get tangled up in that kind of stuff....either me or the kettle (or something near) goes over.....

Using something that's become second nature over 30+ years, I can go down the line of 8 cookers & pop lids for a sec & know all of what's going on.....to stop......and.......think.......each.......time........before........removing & replacing, it would be just too much interference to the flow............

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 08:35:05 PM »
old rocks
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 09:50:37 PM »
Old. The new one you have to worry about tightening the handle too much and scratching or chipping the porcelain. Mine has come loose and needed retightening. I don't mind the looks of the heat shield.

But the placement of the vent and s certainly annoying. Cooking indirect and want the vent over the food?  Therms over the fire. Cooking direct? Opposite problem.

Annnnd the lid hook issue. I much prefered the hook being parallel to the handle rather than perpendicular.

^^^^^ This one single post needs to be sent to Weber.......many times until they understand the folly of this change......

a lot of things are  really good about the new models.....a few things are not....... :o

I get that, but orienting the handle this way guarantees that neither the vent nor the therm get stuck in the lid bale.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 12:08:22 AM »
I hate that metal taco shell.  Give me the old classic Weber Kettle look and feel.  "Thermo, thermo,  I don't need no stink'n Thermo on my lid ...".
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 03:17:38 AM »
Some genius at Weber probably thought it looked better having the lid damper and thermometer on opposite sides of the lid. That person has never used a Weber charcoal grill. It's a regrettable blunder in my opinion, for the reasons mentioned above.

& moving the lid hook... I can deal w/ on my 18 OTS but don't want to buy any of these features "new"
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 06:29:00 AM »
Old. The new one you have to worry about tightening the handle too much and scratching or chipping the porcelain. Mine has come loose and needed retightening. I don't mind the looks of the heat shield.

But the placement of the vent and s certainly annoying. Cooking indirect and want the vent over the food?  Therms over the fire. Cooking direct? Opposite problem.

Annnnd the lid hook issue. I much prefered the hook being parallel to the handle rather than perpendicular.

^^^^^ This one single post needs to be sent to Weber.......many times until they understand the folly of this change......

a lot of things are  really good about the new models.....a few things are not....... :o

I get that, but orienting the handle this way guarantees that neither the vent nor the therm get stuck in the lid bale.

Couldn't they just leave the vent where it was?

I can tell it was a "balanced aesthetic thing" .......decision made by design folks, not the testing dept>

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 07:08:59 AM »
Aside from the potential performance letdown, I'm almost not believing they really moved the Original Kettle's lid hook 90 degrees from the handle orientation? Holding the lid vertically, as when hooking onto the side of the bowl, damn near demands a vertical handle. If it's horizontal you'd need to grasp the end of the lid, wouldn't you, to balance?

Hell, the lid damper always served as a visual for knowing how close you were with the hook you couldn't see. On a 22, just "above" the damper and on an older 26, just "below" it.

... orienting the [2015] handle this way guarantees that neither the vent nor the therm get stuck in the lid bale.

I can see why that would be fine for MasterTouch and Performer, but didn't realize it was an issue in the first place. I think Weber missed the boat by not simply putting lid damper and thermometer on the same end of the lid, inline with the handle. (Meaning, lid damper and thermometer still offset from each other but on the same end of the lid, "ahead" of the handle pointing to them,)

Doing that would reinforce both exhaust and temp readings work better on the indirect side because oh-by-the-way you'll probably be wanting to cook indirect and hey, what's all this "indirect" about ... I'm a firm believer in educating the customer. Makes them insanely loyal and satisfied and that's dollars to stockholders. I'm getting' agitated here. :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:11:07 AM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Craig

• WKC Mod
New lid vs old lid
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 04:57:20 PM »
I'm almost thinking that the 2015 lids would have to sit "diagonally" to get a somewhat better temp gauge reading while still having the vent near/over the food? Haven't cooked on the new style kettles yet. Is the lid hook still under the vent? Seems like that would be awkward to hang a OTS lid with the handle turned away from the vent, like the really old (pre 1963) kettles would have been..

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 05:11:58 PM »
Awkward indeed. And yes, the hook's still under the vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Growing family = growing kettles!

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 07:32:06 PM »
Looks like 2014 lids just went up in value.. 
Grills

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2015, 08:46:01 AM »
Yup. Old all the way. Orientation is all wrong on the new ones.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2015, 09:31:42 AM »
   Those bolt on handles and heat shield are a straight up rip off of Happy Cooker and I'm dam pissed about it !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2015, 10:17:27 AM »
Ya know, there's a workable solution to this for 2015 lids.

1) remove handle
2) plug holes with SS bolt/nut
3) drill correct set of new holes

But I'm still not clear on if the kid hook moved for the regular model?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2015, 11:53:15 AM »

But I'm still not clear on if the kid hook moved for the regular model?

The lid hook didn't move per se. The vent moved. Meaning that the lid hook, while still under the vent, is now in in a different orientation to the handle. I hope that made sense.
Growing family = growing kettles!