Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for Feedback from Owners - Is the 22" Jumbo Joe Premium Portable?  (Read 2376 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Now that they've been on the Market for a few months i wanted to get some feedback on the  22" Jumbo Joe Premium.
it seems like there was some negative responses when they were first announced however the people who actually own them seem to like them.

My question is this: are they portable? Can the legs be removed and re-attached easily like a traditional kettle? I would love to have one to use as my portable/tailgate grill. It would likely spend most of its time disassembled sitting on a shelf in the garage or in the trunk of a car  so the shallow bowl will save space, and it will be used primarily for direct cooking so the shallow bowl will likely help this application.

I currently have an 18 but the extra grate space would come in handy. If anyone has one they transport i would love to get their feedback.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
I can imagine some scenarios where it might work IF the legs detach/attach without hassle or wear. But in my opinion the best portable grills make you use a table if you want them up high, in other words provide a genuine tailgate option.

A regular 22 with cut-down legs/triangle left always attached would be less expensive if the height isn't an issue.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
I saw somewhere, someone talking about WallyWorld liking the smaller size as the boxes would then be smaller & more would fit on a pallet & that being a REAL BIG deal to them.....

Long way of answering, yes, I'm sure the legs will remove the same......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
@addicted-to-smoke I have used many table top grills for this purpose and find its not ideal:
1. Table space is usually at a premium at most tailgates we throw
2. Table top grills are often less stable. more prone to sliding or to knocking into or over by guests
3. Chances are you are cooking for a large group and no portable grills are big enough.

The stand alone grill next to a table is a better solution for my needs. A 22" One touch kettle has more cooking space but when dissassembled takes up too much room in transport. When you add in tents, cooler, chairs, corn hole boards space gets tight. An 18"  takes up way less room but your cooking space is equally limited, especially if you want to leave an indirect coal zone in case things are getting hot which can happen quick when you are doing tailgate foods like burgers that are prone to flare ups.

I feel like a the smaller bowl on the 22" might be best of both worlds with less space in transit but equal cooking space.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Keep in mind, your indirect will be a little different because of the shallower bowl......not a huge deal, but a thing.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
well my research may be all for not. walmart is showing out of stock so unless they re supply the point may be moot.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
well my research may be all for not. walmart is showing out of stock so unless they re supply the point may be moot.

agreed. i wouldnt be looking to cook indirect so much as just scooting some food off the fire momentarily.