Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Did Weber Make a Gen 2 Performer Without Gas Assist?  (Read 4499 times)

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
Did Weber Make a Gen 2 Performer Without Gas Assist?
« on: May 27, 2015, 02:19:04 PM »
Looking at the Performer history page it shows the SS Performer as having both a Gas-Assist and Non-Assisted version, but the Gen 2 and Gen 3 only show the gas models. Did they offer Gen 2 and Gen 3 Performers without the gas assist?
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Did Weber Make a Gen 2 Performer Without Gas Assist?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 02:31:58 PM »
What is "One Touch Platinum.....One Touch Platinum", no, for $600 Alex?

Not sure of exact dates,  there was a Performer Silver for awhile......table, no assist....2nd & 3rd may have lost this one?

Here's some pics & clarifications.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/picked-up-otp/
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »
Thanks 1buckie. I came across a local craigslist ad where someone was selling the "Original" Weber Performer and it looked like a scaled down Gen 2 Performer. From doing more research it looks like a 2004 One Touch Platinum He called it Granny Smith Apple Green, but I believe its either Avacado or Sage Green. The only confusing thing about it is the lid has a Weber thermo mounted in it and I didn't see a thermo in the OTP schematics I looked at on the Weber site.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/for/5045439537.html
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 03:30:02 PM »
That almost looks gray.....maybe an earlier bed, bath, beyond or Crate n Barrel?

Don't know much about these ones.....might be the Sage color?

This is kind of a weird section of history..... :o

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 03:41:40 PM »
Yeah it looked really cool, but the price was enough to keep me moving.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 04:00:07 PM »
It looks like sage to me, but it has a newer thermo yes? Maybe added it later?  It is a platinum just like mine except for the color and thermo.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 04:08:02 PM »
Nice color..thats a thick sale price. Basically what it retailed for new.

If you are looking for that color....
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 04:08:47 PM »
That kettle needs gas assist added and thrown onto a ss frame...wow
Grills

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 06:27:25 PM »
Looking at the Performer history page it shows the SS Performer as having both a Gas-Assist and Non-Assisted version, but the Gen 2 and Gen 3 only show the gas models. Did they offer Gen 2 and Gen 3 Performers without the gas assist?

Raptor - as previous post indicate, that is a one touch platinum.  When I was documenting the Weber Performer history page, I decided to keep the scope simple and just include true "performer" models rather than dive into all the variations of kettles with tables. 

When Weber went to Gen 2 on the performer, they positioned the kettle you are looking at as a bridge between the OTG and the Performer (top of the line charcoal kettle).  The one touch platinum was also later offered with a small table on both sides of the kettle.

Just to make things really confusing, the newest 2015 performer now comes in a "performer platinum" model with all the bells and whistles as an upgrade to the Performer model....

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 07:03:30 PM »
For further confusion, Gen 3 has models with without gas assist.  Just comes with a timer.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 08:30:15 PM »
It looks like sage to me, but it has a newer thermo yes? Maybe added it later?  It is a platinum just like mine except for the color and thermo.

I wondered if it might of been an aftermarket thermometer because for some reason I thought if Weber had put it on initially they would have put it opposite the vent.  Not sure why I thought that, just seemed like it would have been the right way to do it.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 08:33:02 PM »

Raptor - as previous post indicate, that is a one touch platinum.  When I was documenting the Weber Performer history page, I decided to keep the scope simple and just include true "performer" models rather than dive into all the variations of kettles with tables. 

When Weber went to Gen 2 on the performer, they positioned the kettle you are looking at as a bridge between the OTG and the Performer (top of the line charcoal kettle).  The one touch platinum was also later offered with a small table on both sides of the kettle.

Just to make things really confusing, the newest 2015 performer now comes in a "performer platinum" model with all the bells and whistles as an upgrade to the Performer model....

Winz

Thanks Winz. My main point of confusion came from the owner listing it on CL as a Performer when it's not.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 04:02:35 AM »
For further confusion, Gen 3 has models with without gas assist.  Just comes with a timer.

Yep, my Home Depot displays this one for $350, Performer Premium. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Performer-Premium-22-in-Charcoal-Grill-in-Black-15401001/205504258

The Performer Deluxe (with gas assist) retails for $50 more. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Performer-Deluxe-22-in-Charcoal-Grill-in-Copper-15502001/205527358
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 07:50:47 AM »
@AZRaptor

Yes, clearly the seller does not know that his kettle is not a performer. I saw that post when it first went up.  It is a cool color.

Maybe it is an optical illusion, but the thermometer does not look centered to me, making me suspect that it was added later:

Winz

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 08:39:42 AM »
@AZRaptor

Yes, clearly the seller does not know that his kettle is not a performer. I saw that post when it first went up.  It is a cool color.

Maybe it is an optical illusion, but the thermometer does not look centered to me, making me suspect that it was added later:

Winz

Doesn't know what it is.....too much $$$$....I say we just push it into the pool like he did in Breaking Bad.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/an-interesting-kettle-screen-shot/msg86768/#msg86768