Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: ? re: the 2010 Platinum  (Read 2325 times)

charred

• WKC Performer
? re: the 2010 Platinum
« on: May 13, 2015, 06:49:13 AM »
Were they produced '10-12, or maybe just sold then?

I grabbed a Maroon one the other day (AD), and it's bale-less. The black one I have has the bale. So, different models, or difference in yr. produced, or what?  :)
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: ? re: the 2010 Platinum
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 06:59:02 AM »
I saw those pics of yours.......rollers, but no bale, is that right?

Is there some kind of clip to catch the lid at the back of the bowl or the like?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 07:49:58 AM »
Good call, buckie! Upon closer inspection, there's a small metal clip, or guard, that would protect the bowl from the (hot) lid. Also, there is a bit of what looks like melted roller drip on the bowl, near where the roller attaches.

My mission is clear: put the bale from the black Plat., which is missing the appropriate lid anyway, on the maroon one and sell the black one bale-less and w/ a reg. lid.

(Sell 1, buy 2). :)

Thanks.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 12:05:25 AM »
My 3 AD's all have the full wire bale and the blade like deflector to keep the lid from chipping the lower bowl.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 11:25:56 AM »
Good call, buckie! Upon closer inspection, there's a small metal clip, or guard, that would protect the bowl from the (hot) lid. Also, there is a bit of what looks like melted roller drip on the bowl, near where the roller attaches.

My mission is clear: put the bale from the black Plat., which is missing the appropriate lid anyway, on the maroon one and sell the black one bale-less and w/ a reg. lid.

Thanks.

Finally got around to making the switch and found out, much to my delight, that it's real easy to remove the bowls- 2 nuts inside the bowl and lift out. The tables on the blackie's frame were nicer (cleaner w/ a more attractive to me speckled finish) than the maroon's so I swapped frames, too.

Why was this model so short-lived? Bad price-point? Ugly thermoset tables? Centered lid vent?    :-\

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 11:55:24 AM »

Thanks.

Finally got around to making the switch and found out, much to my delight, that it's real easy to remove the bowls- 2 nuts inside the bowl and lift out. The tables on the blackie's frame were nicer (cleaner w/ a more attractive to me speckled finish) than the maroon's so I swapped frames, too.

Why was this model so short-lived? Bad price-point? Ugly thermoset tables? Centered lid vent?    :-\

I would guess it's because of the bad margins to produce them. Many of the parts were exclusive to the OTP, from the lid, bowl, frame, table, handle, etc etc. at the retail level the price point is well into the entry level gas grill range so I bet it didn't sell well.  I would also bet that the timing to sell a midrange premium grill in the 2010 recession was a contributing factor.

This grill was not a Weber designed product. It was contracted out to CHOi Design in Chicago. They've done some excellent work on the higher end product lines like Weber Style Accessories, Summit, 2005 Performer (I think). The charcoal grill market is very cost focused and I bet the the OTP was an experimental grill for Weber. Maybe the idea was to make it more competitive to a Kamado? The two side tables are vey kamado-esque
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 06:36:22 AM »
I always figured the central lid handle/tilt back would appeal to generations of gas grill owners who expected a grill's lid to open like that. That and the twin side tables seemed like smart ideas to me.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch