Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rusted out leg socket  (Read 7362 times)

Dustin Flavell

• Smokey Joe
Rusted out leg socket
« on: May 12, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »
I scored a free 18" brownie today.  "c" stamped (1981).  Original daisy wheels top and bottom.  Wood handles are in okay shape considering the age.  The paint is in good shape too with the exception of one chip and some light paint cracking on the bowl.  The only real issue are the leg sockets.  One is completely detached and rusted out and another is barely hanging on.  The two worst are due tourist and the rust has created holes where the welds used to be.  Any thoughts on how to fix this so the legs can be attached to the bowl?  Thought about attaching with screws but the holes are too big and there is not much to work with.  Really excited about this freebie, but would like to figure away to attaché the legs and still be able to use it.  Thank you.
Save a salmon...eat more BEEF

Craig

• WKC Mod
Rusted out leg socket
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 05:04:02 PM »
Congrats on the C code brownie! Let's see some photos of it. I know some here have reattached the sockets with large diameter SS washers and screws others like me have used rivets and washers. At any rate it can be fixed I'm sure. Also are the original handles still there? Are they double rivet, single screw or both styles?

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
Re: Rusted out leg socket
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 07:32:51 PM »
I have done some leg repair with a mig welder you can fill in the hole and get the leg socket back on solid since its rusted out not much worry about messing up the porcelain coating there. if you know anyone with a mig/ wire feed welder ? or if your near seattle i could help out
BBQ to live live to BBQ

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 08:19:25 PM »
@Dustin Flavell  Like Craig said... let's see some pics! 

Here's a link to "the" leg socket repair thread...

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-socket-repair/msg15802/#msg15802

And a couple of pics of a repair that I had made:

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Dustin Flavell

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 09:20:03 PM »
Great advice! I've got some photos of the kettle and a few of the cancer.  I'll figure out how to post picks in the morning and get those up.  Bob, I think what you show might work. A couple of the holes are the same size as the vent homes in the bottom.  Might be my best bet. 

Not close to Seattle but the ranch I work on here in No Cal has a few guys that are handy with a mig welder. 

Craig this kettle has two handles on the bowl and one on the lid.  Seem to be original.  One on the bowl is broke off on one side.  All three are wood and have one screw in the center.  This is my first kettle with the three daisy wheels on the bottom of the kettle and all three are stamped "c"

I'll figure out how to get pictures up and post.  Thanks again for the advice on how to fix.  I'm more excited about this find than I was one I scored a 92 hunter green master touch in excellent condition a few years back. Ready to fix her up and burn some meat on it!

Dustin Flavell

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 12:02:26 PM »
Here are the photos...I think...

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 01:28:18 PM »
Looks good glad your saving it to bad leg sockets rusted so bad I'm sure you'll get them fixed up
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 03:54:57 PM by northwestkettle »
BBQ to live live to BBQ

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 09:13:56 PM »
You will have it looking good and cooking like new in no time at all. Congratulations on a cool grill!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC