Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turds using some other type of Pepper?  (Read 4497 times)

jabram

• Happy Cooker
Turds using some other type of Pepper?
« on: May 11, 2015, 12:09:47 PM »
I've been looking at all these wonderful trud cooks you guys have posted and would like to give that a try on our Memorial Day family get together. I'm concerned that none of my family likes spicy food. Wondering what this dish would be like if you used some type of mild or sweet pepper. Anyone cooked turds with something other than jalapenos? Also I need to come up with a little more "dignified" name when folks ask me what this dish is.  ;)

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: Turds using some other type of Pepper?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 12:23:24 PM »
You'll be surprised how much jalapeños mellow out when smoked. Make sure all veins and seeds are out.

It will be interesting to see the other pepper suggestions.

Use "ABTs", and let the guests ponder a bit. Break it gently to them later. "Atomic Buffalo Turds" - it's always gotten a good laugh. And they don't mind 'cause they're so good.
Dude, relax your chicken.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 12:28:22 PM »
This is like 5 or 6 different peppers & 9 different combinations of stuffing or fix-ups....

A real good one is if you're able to find baby bell peppers......red, yellow, orange, all in one cello bag & they are generally shaped about like jalepenos......just call them stuffed & wrapped sweet peppers..........

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 12:36:56 PM »
If anything, the overall flavor profile of ABTs in my opinion is always the salty bacon. But leave seeds or veins in and they'll be hot.

Make a tiny batch, say just 4 of them right now and ask a volunteer to eat it. You want confidence, not guesswork come the Big Day. If your volunteer raves about it you'll know to proceed. If your volunteer isn't ready for the adventurousness of ABTs (spicy hot or not ...) then skip them altogether at the get together. Not everyone freaks out on ABTs.

Simple is the rule here and prep them the night before. It's tedious and you'll want to be doing other stuff the day of the cook.

That said, sweet peppers should be really good as well, just don't fill them with something too sweet.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 12:43:52 PM »
A co-worker had grown these and gave them to me late last summer.  Not sure what kind, but they had no heat.

I stuffed them with my top secret turd mixture, then wrapped in 2 strips of bacon each, and onto the kettle during a rib cook.

Check your local market for different types of peppers, or an ethnic store if one is available.  All the best!

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 01:24:02 PM »
@austin87 made some out of small orange/yellow sweet peppers and blue cheese on saturday. They turned out great! If you like them spicy you can always make up for it with some rub or sauce for the ones you'll eat. I bet you can use bell pepper too- just cut it into wider strips then bend or shape them as needed.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 01:28:42 PM »
Dblpst.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 04:00:55 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 02:30:03 PM »
This is like 5 or 6 different peppers & 9 different combinations of stuffing or fix-ups....

A real good one is if you're able to find baby bell peppers......red, yellow, orange, all in one cello bag & they are generally shaped about like jalepenos......just call them stuffed & wrapped sweet peppers..........

[emoji106] [emoji106] on the bag of sweet peppers.
I have used them on many occasions for those who can't take any heat.
Another useful trick is to par boil the jalapeños for two minutes after coring out all seeds and veins. The jalapeños will be less spicy, and more tender, than if they go on the grill uncooked.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 04:01:17 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 02:33:36 PM »

Safeway has them in 1lb and 2lb bags and I'm sure other places do too.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 03:26:21 PM »

on the bag of sweet peppers.
I have used them on many occasions for those who can't take any heat.
Another useful trick is to par boil the jalapeños for two minutes after coring out all seeds and veins. The jalapeños will be less spicy, and more tender, than if they go on the grill uncooked.

Yeah, I forgot the trick I used to use for the heat whimps that I cooked for in the past.....cut & core the peppers....the white stuff (veins along the inside, actually called the placenta) and seeds carry the heat.....

The  easiest way to get all that out is half shell style cuts & scraping it good.....

THEN, to really reduce the heat, soak in Sprite (soda pop) overnite......takes a ton of the heat factor out & still leaves the basic jalepeno flavor present.....like almost all of the heat.....cooking also reduces quite a bit of the heat after a time.....

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 03:52:32 PM »
Used sweet peppers several times and they are a great alternative if you're a wuss. Personally without the heat turds are bland but I also understand some people won't touch anything hotter than ice cream. [emoji27]

jabram

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 05:53:21 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for all the good info, I'm getting the picture on the turds. I'll try some of those baby bell peppers, I've seen them in the bag at the local markets. I did a Trud search and see there is quit a wide variety of ingredients used for the filling but some form of cream cheese seems to be the common denominator. Cook indirect, low temp for an 1-1/2 to 2 hours seems to be the  general procedure. I'll do an experimental run on a few truds this weekend to see how it goes. Certainly don't want any surprises when the eaters arrive for Memorial Day lunch. Again, thanks!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:57:02 PM by jabram »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 06:01:25 PM »
Here's a little do-dad about wrapping, if that helps.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/'turd-wrapping/

Have a fun event !!!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 06:27:55 PM »
Here's a little do-dad about wrapping, if that helps.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/'turd-wrapping/

Have a fun event !!!!

This is my preferred method for wrapping … and the Tandoori is one of the ingredients in my secret mixture ….  :D 8) ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.