Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chip came off my less than 2 year old OTG  (Read 7940 times)

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
Re: Chip came off my less than 2 year old OTG
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 12:06:51 PM »
I had a woman at Weber give me a hard time about a claim about a year ago.  Started to lecture me on how to grill and that I was doing it wrong.  I got off the phone emailed customer service and complained and got a long apology and my replacement part was on its way.  Weber has great customer service with a few difficult ones mixed in.  Sometimes its best to just hang up and try again with someone else.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 12:10:57 PM »
Okay, so how does a factory weld on the inside turn into a paint chip on the outside, 2 years later? Help a brother understand. Flexing at the grate strap, somehow?

heat.

Heat makes the metal expand.
The weld points create these inconsistencies:
- how the metal expands
- how fast/slow the metal heats up

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 12:17:27 PM »
maybe it left slag and the porcelain didn't adhere to  the metal but maybe to welding cap slag  /// sometimes if you miss while spot welding and just catch one of the pieces of metal it`ll even burn a hole thru thinner metal //lol just wondering /// in the pic it looks like a weld indent next to the chipped off piece  but then again most things are welded by robots now with the metal clamped into jigs
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:21:43 PM by TexasOnion »

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 01:34:22 PM »
Glad they ended up replacing it for you.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 01:50:57 PM »
John I hope you didn't think I was grouping you in with the bogus claims, it wasn't meant to sound like that. I too am very anal about my kettles and would die if I came home to that chip...and then blame the dogs or my son, lol!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 04:24:44 PM »
Okay, so how does a factory weld on the inside turn into a paint chip on the outside, 2 years later? Help a brother understand. Flexing at the grate strap, somehow?

heat.

Heat makes the metal expand.
The weld points create these inconsistencies:
- how the metal expands
- how fast/slow the metal heats up

+1. This problem is very common on performers that came with the baskets as they can concentrate heat toward these weld points.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 06:13:59 PM »
Land no no totally didn't think you were grouping me in with the bad ones. So when I got home it was definitely in the exact spot where the holders are welded on in the inside.  This woman's first name was Cindy, wonder if its the same one that's given some of you guys trouble before as well.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 07:45:23 PM »
I had a similar conversation with a "lovely" woman named Suzette Toth, by the end of the email exchange I felt like I had been kicked in the sack
and was about a half step short of being listed a terrorist.. I feel yer pain Johnpv 
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 08:12:16 PM »
Yes, call back in the evening.  I usually call about an hour before quitting time... my guess is that the managers and newer employees have gone home for the night and  the senior people are much better about handling stuff on their own. 
One of the charcoal people.

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 08:21:23 PM »
Wow, this sounds like the same woman I had to deal with a few years  back.  Very accusatory and just generally bitchy. 
Glad you have your replacement on the way.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 08:34:37 PM »
Wow, sad about the chip and the CS horror story.   FWIW, I once stumbled into a great CSR at Weber and ended up getting her direct number and email address.    Whenever I need something, I call her directly and if she isn't there and doesn't answer, I keep calling until she does. 

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 06:09:09 PM »
Yes, call back in the evening.  I usually call about an hour before quitting time... my guess is that the managers and newer employees have gone home for the night and  the senior people are much better about handling stuff on their own.
[/quote

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:10:53 PM by ramsfan »
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 06:12:19 PM »
 The newer, less experienced employees seem to work in the evening. I think you will have better luck with them.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:14:12 PM by ramsfan »
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 03:10:41 AM »
I'll have to remember about calling in the evening if I ever have to again. 

I got the shipping notice last night and the new bowl should be here tomorrow.  I'm really excited.

Have any of you received a replacement bowl before?  Do you know if it comes with the One touch, and ash catcher assembly already installed?  I ask because when I bought the grill new it came with those two things on the bowl already and I'm not sure how I'll get them off.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 03:23:04 AM »
The replacement bowl I received from Weber only came with the bowl, no sweep or as catcher.