Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal Baskets New or Old?  (Read 2243 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Charcoal Baskets New or Old?
« on: May 04, 2015, 06:12:10 PM »
Which charcoal baskets do you prefer?  The older wire or the newer stamped?  I've got both and tend to prefer the newer stamped, although I think the older wire ones are nicer.  I think the newer ones fit the kettle better and seem to hold more coal and cover a larger area.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Charcoal Baskets New or Old?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 06:36:56 PM »
I only have the newer aluminum ones so take my comments with a grain of salt. But they do the job, which for me sometimes includes using them to transport hot coals to another kettle. I wouldn't dare try that with wire baskets. But yeah, they can choke the coals easier probably. (So, I use better charcoal or lump instead.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 07:11:18 PM »
I have both. While I like the construction of the older wirebasket the sheet metal ones are more functional. They have a larger opening so it's easier to load them with charcoal and they also nest making storage a hell of a lot easier.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 08:05:23 PM »
You gotta have both.  Though I think I use the wire-style more often-- they hold the coals farther to the side for indirect cooks. 
One of the charcoal people.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 09:43:17 PM »
I only have the newer ones and they work ok.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 10:32:59 PM »
I only have the stamped sheet metal, newer style. They can be very versatile, especially with a little persuasion!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=14778.0
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 06:18:10 PM »
The old one seem more durable than the new ones, but then again I only have the newer version.
I was looking at the older ones on ereplacement parts, but I think with shipping they were almost twice as much.

I like the newer version just fine. I especially like how they raise the coals to right under the grate, really has changed the way i cook.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 08:27:08 PM »
I prefer the look and feel and durability of the older wire baskets, but they're too tall! The stamped metal ones that I have tend to fall apart if I happen to move them, but the size is perfect. I do have one wire basket that is the same size (length/width/height) as the newer stamped ones. It came with a SS performer that I acquired off of CL and flipped a couple of years ago. Would love to get my hands on another basket or three like that one!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"