Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2015 Lid Bale on SS Perf  (Read 13830 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 2015 Lid Bale on SS Perf
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 10:34:11 AM »
@shkish, I don't think you'd benefit from the more lean-back lid profile on a standalone kettle.

You'd have a farther reach for the lid and more prone to it becoming a wind sail. The issue with Performers is that you're always coming at the kettle "sideways" and so access is constricted. Not a problem on the others, where you can just step around it. Make sense?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

shkish

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 12:07:08 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke, I hadn't thought of it that way.  Yes it does make sense.  When one adds a longer table rig to the MT, wouldn't you also stand 'sideways'?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 02:30:30 PM »
Hey @shkish I see what you're trying to do here, cornering me with logic. Well, it won't work!

Or depending on the table's connecting bars, it could still hang from the side instead of the "front" of the M/T and so, permit it's lid to be tilted back. That'd be my preference; to be able to get to the grill from 2 angles, not one as with a Performer. (Some can position their Performer out such that the backside is accessable. I can't.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 05:02:48 PM »
Thank you! I was jut about to purchase a new performer even though I don't like the handle placement on the new performer. Ill be ordering the lid ale kit tomorrow.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 05:09:29 PM »
that kicks ass.

Who the F posted that they're different? I would have ordered a new bale with the new table :(

@Troy

Here's some yak about it....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/2015-performer-premium-review/msg140233/#msg140233

Interesting. I knew you'd find it.
I wonder if @zavod44 's performer deluxe was slightly different? He got a hold of that thing 2 months before they were being manufactured - I bet his was hand built.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 06:33:31 PM »
The only concern is if the new kettles have holes located differently than old kettle's holes. If they are the same, and $1 says they likely are, then compatibility of the new lid bale is assured.

OR

Let's say the kettle hole locations are now a little different and that ClubChapin's old lid bale isn't "sprung" a little bit. It all still seems to be within an acceptable range of compatibility and work just fine.

ClubChapin thanks again for being our guinea pig. You were also the one that retrofitted electronic ignition to yours, right?

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 09:00:12 PM »
The new lid bale seemed to fit as well or better than the original.

Interestingly, my bale is flat, parallel with the table. The C&B seems to have an angle to it.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/weber-blue-performer-deluxe-charcoal-grill/s379523?si=2470763&aff=cj

Although they don't on Weber's site.
http://www.weber.com/grills/series/performer

Maybe C&B put it together wrong, or, have different hole spacing...

Indeed, that was me that installed electronic ignition in my SS Performer. Same grill with the new Bale. It's pimped out (also with a lid hook) and I no longer am envious of the 2015 model.   I like the look and functionality of the pre-2005 Performer over the post 2004 models. (I do really like the black leg C&B model, one of these would be sweet with a new bale, table, and ignition...)

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:09:35 PM by ClubChapin »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 09:05:22 PM »
Great information! The more I use my ss the more the shallow lid bale annoys me. I don't think I'll upgrade to the new style because I think it looks uglier and I want my oem cover to fit.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 09:12:49 PM »
Great information! The more I use my ss the more the shallow lid bale annoys me. I don't think I'll upgrade to the new style because I think it looks uglier and I want my oem cover to fit.

I hear you on the cover.

I have gotten used to the look pretty quickly.   It is nice having the lid close to 90 degrees to the bowl. It is substantially further out of the way.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 02:54:38 AM »
... The C&B seems to have an angle to it. ...

In some photos yes. Here's one from their site where the lid still does lean some, but if you look closely at the lid bale it has that new flat section at the end. Longer rollers too, yes?

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 10:06:02 AM »
Thanks for pioneering this, @ClubChapin .  I'd *love* to make this mod, but I'd hate to have cover trouble.  OTOH my cover is already in tatters, so maybe I should upgrade both things?  ;-)
One of the charcoal people.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 10:12:17 AM »
I don't know what options are for covers. It would be nice to find someone to produce (and accommodate the larger bale) them as the 8701s are disappearing anyway.

I wonder if a 2015 cover would fit an non-upgrdaded lid bale  SS perf?  Seems like it would need to be a couple of inches longer than the covers from '05 - '14. Maybe the new covers are.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2015, 12:26:51 PM »
Thanks for this post!   I, like a lot of others were disappointed these would not fit older models.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 01:10:48 PM »
ClubChapin do you notice a big difference in the position of the lid between the 2 bales?  Just curious if you would recommend upgrading or if you feel it's not enough clearance to make that much of a difference.  Thank you. 

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2015, 01:14:12 PM »
It is a big difference. See the photos above.

With the new bale, the lid is entirely behind the bale mounting holes.  It makes access much easier. 

For me, it is $30 well spent.

The downside is the lack of a good cover now.  At least rainy season is ending here, so I have the summer to sort this out.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:05:30 AM by ClubChapin »