Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Great old Weber Photo  (Read 4226 times)

SixZeroFour

Great old Weber Photo
« on: May 01, 2015, 10:25:57 AM »
This was posted up on the Weber Canada Facebook page a few days ago (https://www.facebook.com/webergrillsca)

First off - what a glorious kettle! (legs are mirror polished it appears!... always wondered about that 8)) and I love that it also shows the Charcoal Caddy (@Jeff has a sweet one of these.)

Now some questions...

What is that mini Smokey Joe/serving dish looking thing? Looks very small but it has the classic tripod going on... kinda interesting.

And then have a close look at the side table, the leg mounts appear to be mounted to the outside on this one. I know there are at least 3 versions of the side table - 1) Teak Veneer 2) Cheaper looking Oak(?) Veneer and then #3 the one above. @Craig any ideas if there are more?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 12:14:18 PM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Re: Great old Weber Photo
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 10:32:34 AM »
Also, what color is that grill? Doesn't look like red to me, unless the balance is off, which it could be (given that his feet/legs are the same color and look like a shadow).  Killer shirt/apron combo too.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:42:25 AM »
This is a Chestnut Coppertone kettle "two tone pink". This is one of the early work tables that didn't have the same socket mounts as the later ones. I've had this picture for some time now on my poster and my computer. It's a sweet photo!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 10:53:39 AM »
We've seen a few examples of "chromed" legs, right?

Those old low slung Ranch kettles had them....possible this is what the "artist's rendering" here is taken from?

Also, "seems" to be a single lower vent?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 11:21:57 AM »
@1buckie

Its a three wheeler and has steel legs.  Here's the grill.  Big Ed and I confirmed the lid is heavier than that of a newer model (Patent Pending, etc.). I do need to get it on a scale though for official confirmation.

We've seen a few examples of "chromed" legs, right?

Those old low slung Ranch kettles had them....possible this is what the "artist's rendering" here is taken from?

Also, "seems" to be a single lower vent?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 12:01:23 PM »
@harris92  That looks like a ringer for that grill. It has a similar fade, square tab, perpendicular vent layout and the shiny leg coating seems to be present on yours
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 12:06:39 PM »
Is the basting pot/brush a Weber accessory or just something that showed up in the picture?

If so I would love to get my hands on something like that!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 12:50:10 PM »
That little "mini smokey joe thing" looks like that ash try thing we saw on eBay, but older and cooler.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 12:58:02 PM »
I can tell you that the lid of my red Wood Dale is heavier than even my thumbscrew mbh red 22 and they are only 2-4 years apart in age.

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 01:36:50 PM »
@pbe gummi bear

There is a wider shot of this floating around.  The grill has the utility pan and white wheels.

@harris92  That looks like a ringer for that grill. It has a similar fade, square tab, perpendicular vent layout and the shiny leg coating seems to be present on yours

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 01:38:27 PM »
@Craig  The Weber Bros lid is also noticeably heavier than a Wood Dale lid.  Ed and I were testing it out a few months ago. :)

I can tell you that the lid of my red Wood Dale is heavier than even my thumbscrew mbh red 22 and they are only 2-4 years apart in age.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Great old Weber Photo
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 02:55:23 PM »
Is it likely that when they changed the leg sockets they changed the style of the side tables also ? I have a teak version side table that uses the leg sockets , same ones you would find on a kettle . The version pictured and the version on the 63 catalog don't appear to be leg sockets or am I mistaken ?

" Esto Perpertua "
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Craig

• WKC Mod
Great old Weber Photo
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 03:43:29 PM »
You can definitely tell that there are thumbscrews holding the legs in on this table. Also note the '56 era square shape turn tab on the bowl vent. Harris does yours  have squared turn tabs on the bowl vents or the more familiar rounded ones?

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »
@Craig  Square tabs on the bowl vents of the Weber Bros.  To make things more interesting I also have an early Wood Dale with square tabs on the bowl vents. I bought the Wood dale from Don. He audited Weber Bros Metal Works in the 1950's.  He told me he picked it up off the assembly line in 1958 at a discounted price of $15.00.

You can definitely tell that there are thumbscrews holding the legs in on this table. Also note the '56 era square shape turn tab on the bowl vent. Harris does yours  have squared turn tabs on the bowl vents or the more familiar rounded ones?

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 08:42:11 PM »

@Craig  Square tabs on the bowl vents of the Weber Bros.  To make things more interesting I also have an early Wood Dale with square tabs on the bowl vents. I bought the Wood dale from Don. He audited Weber Bros Metal Works in the 1950's.  He told me he picked it up off the assembly line in 1958 at a discounted price of $15.00.

Is that the one you had when you first joined the WKC? I always liked that one. I can smell the burgers cooking just looking at it.