Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Camping Caravan Stages Cross Country Barbecue  (Read 4173 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Camping Caravan Stages Cross Country Barbecue
« on: April 24, 2015, 12:58:43 PM »
 Chicago Tribune
Thursday, July 21, 1966

Nine children, four adults one covered barbecue kettle, one trailer and several trucks are trekking  from Chicago to the West Coast and back this summer on a modern covered wagon adventure that will entertain and instruct thousands along the way in the art of camping and outdoor cooking
    Known as the Weber -Dodge Camping Caravan the wagon train is being led by the nationally famous man and wife team of Bob and Pat Krug of Park Ridge  " The Kamping Krug's," are outdoor experts and master barbecue chefs. Eight in the party are Krug's children ranging in age from 1 to 22 years.
   Arriving on the West Coast at Knott's Berry farm, Los Angeles,Calif famous amusement park on August. 2, the caravan is camping at national parks and sightseeing centers during the 26-day round trip across country, the campers have all their meals prepared in a covered barbecue kettle which cooks everything from roast to  casseroles by reflected heat.
   Before crowds expected to number in the thousands, Bob Krug a representative of Weber- Stephen Products Co., Arlington Heights, manufacturers of barbecue equipment, also gives instructions on good barbecue techniques and will stage cooking demonstrations on the best way to barbecue meats.
    Pat Krug shows how to " keep house "  outdoors with the modern convenience of a Dodge trailer supplied by the Chrysler Corporation. They also give press interviews and television cooking exhibitions.
    House guests on the Dodge-Weber Camping Caravan are Mr. and Mrs. Walter Fitzgibbons 1309 S.Jeanne Terrace, Wheeling, and their 15-year-old son Aalter Jr.
    The Krug children, several of whom are also proficient at outdoor living and having demonstrated cooking and camping on television include, five girls and three boys. They are Laurel, 22; Kathy, 12; Patty, 10; Chris, 9; Arthur, 7; Kimberly, 3; Robin, 2 and Lisa,1.
  " The Kamping Krug's " are expected to decamp
 in Chicago on August 7

" Esto Perpertua "
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Camping Caravan Stages Cross Country Barbecue
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 02:01:48 PM »
That's pretty cool. Wow, got to be a side-story there between Laurel and Kathy but whatever ...

IMO Weber would do well to be a part of this sort of thing TODAY. Send Kevin Kolman out in a camper with a 22.5", a JJ a Q (playing the utility position) and see what happens. Our nation's preference for gassers is (again, my opinion) troublesome. So many people don't know what a kettle can do, why, and how!

If you only stressed TWO aspects, 1) Put the Darn Lid On and 2) Cook it Indirect ... you'd have droves of charcoal converts, guaranteed.

Am I right?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 02:39:26 PM »
What a cool find and story Ida! Those vintage aprons are sweet - wonder if there are any out there somewhere :)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 03:02:37 AM »
This is really neat

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 04:37:01 AM »
Yeah, that's great! And I think anybody would kill for one of those aprons.
Growing family = growing kettles!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 05:53:28 AM »
Funny, the apron was the first thing I noticed too.

Jeep

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 06:21:23 AM »
i want the chef hat he is wearing. 
22 Performer - Black - AA ** 22 OTS - Black - Cajun Bandit - AD ** 22 MT - Burgundy - EO
18 OTS - Guinness - DZ **  SJG - Black - Turned into Mini WSM  ** SJS - Lime - AT (x2)

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 06:44:19 AM »
killer idea.I never need and excuse to go to knott's
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 08:09:16 AM »
      I was a told a story by someone who was also a Weber Demo Cook he thought it was funny , I thought it sounded painful .

He told me that back in the late 50's he was up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and was to appear on a Local Television show called " Good Housekeeping with Trudy . Trudy Bellafus was a local celebrity and wanted to show the audience a cooked meal during the live show . They got a chicken all cooked up and had the grill on the stage when Trudy introduced the Cook , he said he came out on stage but had forgotten his oven mitt . Trudy asked him to lift the lid to show the audience  and since it was live he didn't want to embarrass himself . He said he grabbed the  rocket hot metal handle and showed the audience the chicken , smiling while he burned his hand . When he got back to Chicago he told George " you need to put some wood on those handles " as he showed him the burn .

" Esto Perpertua "

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 09:08:49 AM »
^ Wow, getting burned on live TV. That's what I call taking one for the team!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 08:43:43 AM »
    So this would have traveled Route 66 in 1966 ?

" Esto Perpertua "

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 08:57:15 AM »
Those aprons would sell like hot cakes

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 09:06:57 AM »
Idahawk, the Eisenhower Interstate System was still being constructed in some parts, but most of U.S. 66 had already been bypassed by I-44 in MO and OK for example.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 01:49:31 PM »

Idahawk, the Eisenhower Interstate System was still being constructed in some parts, but most of U.S. 66 had already been bypassed by I-44 in MO and OK for example.

Nice info !  I was going to try and follow the route on paper town by town checking newspaper articles for any mention of the trip .

" Esto Perpertua "