Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast Iron Cooking  (Read 7624 times)

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Cast Iron Cooking
« on: April 24, 2015, 04:37:57 PM »

I use a lot of Cast Iron when I grill. A lot of Soups, Bacon, Veggies, and Stews. Have a good collection of Cast Iron old and new. Has anyone found themselves using Cast Iron a lot when they grill? If so what type do you use? Brand, age, USA, or imported, Skillets, Dutch Ovens? I consider Cast Iron a very valuable accessory to my grills!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: Cast Iron Cooking
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 04:52:44 PM »
We tossed the Teflon 20 years ago and cook on Iron mostly, with the exception of a couple pots. I'll pick up good ol American made stuff when its available at a decent price. No chyneez stuff ever!
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 04:56:12 PM »
Oh yeah!!!  Nice looking collection !!!

there's some cast iron heavies on here..... @Winz  is one & HFG....who just checked in & there are numerous others....I have a few that I use some, not as much as some folks.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 04:59:28 PM »
We have plenty of CI fans here!
A couple of the recent threads:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=12718.0

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=10543.0

I will see if I can find more...
[emoji6]
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 05:03:03 PM »
I have fair amount of CI mostly Lodge, some Wagner from antique stores. I have the range of sizes of Camp ovens and a few Dutch ovens plus skillets and such.

I am learning how to use CI on the grill plus on the stove.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »
Need a skillet

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 06:13:47 PM »
Nice stack, Mr. Miller !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 07:23:10 PM »
I have a few pieces(10" round griddle, fajita serving skillet, biscuit pan http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41vsP5HHv5L.jpg and a combo cooker http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/lodge-combo-cooker/pid-27823?N=629375049&Ntt=combo+cooker&Ntk=All). I love my cast iron and plan to get more pieces over time. I'm still learning how to use/care for them and haven't grilled with them yet, but some skillet/biscuit pan cornbread is in my near future. I do, however, use them on the stove/in the oven frequently and love using them to do indoor steaks and pork chops(a-la-Alton Brown) when the weather won't let me grill.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:26:34 PM by mrbill »
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 01:18:35 AM »
Nice collection, @Shoestringshop !  Cast iron and the Weber kettle are a perfect marriage.

I am not a collector, per se.  I have a few older pieces of now defunct Canadian stuff.

Steak & Potatoes

Sautéed peppers, onions, and rib tips

Chicken wings

A variation of Osso Buco in a DO

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 04:03:46 AM »
If you ever get a chance to grab a  Cook N Kettle...do it.  One of the best outdoor cookers there is. 

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 05:13:29 AM »
That is an amazing collection, cast iron is the best of all cookware.  In fact I just made me a breakfast frittata this morning.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 05:14:40 AM »
Have a small collection of the normal pieces and a few little odd ones. But I don't really have a place to store them well, so a plastic tub under a counter is one place and the oven is another. All but one piece is modern Lodge, the other is a '60s no-name-on-it Wagner we got from my wife's mom. Recently when we were at her place she showed me an old Griswold she picked up for pennies. (!)

But yes I use them on my grills whenever I can, but despite trying a lot of different meats and some veggies, haven't actually made much that required a CI piece yet. Looking to rectify that.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 06:47:34 AM »
I love cast iron
have about 4 pans
5 dutch ovens
some griddles and stuff

sheesh I even have the triangle bell and the tripod
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 07:43:46 AM »
I am just getting into cast iron cooking great flavor , I was curious as to how many people here use cast iron to grill and cook with.
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 07:53:49 AM »
I am just getting into cast iron cooking great flavor , I was curious as to how many people here use cast iron to grill and cook with.

Exactly 27 of us currently. We keep tabs via secret handshake!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch