Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need Help with a 1999 MT with a Rusty bottom  (Read 2041 times)

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
Need Help with a 1999 MT with a Rusty bottom
« on: April 22, 2015, 09:27:03 PM »
I just got a really nice 1999 Weber 22" MT.  Not a ding on the outside.  It's black and will go perfectly with my son-in-laws Roti.

Now here's the rub (or should I say rot).  Upon cleanup I noticed that the one of the ash sweeper blades is just about rusted through.  Common at this age
kettle I suppose.

Now my question(s).  Is the standard 7409 the correct replacement for this configuration?  Does the ash catcher bar (which is still intact but rusty)
replace the usual washer.  That is; do I remove the washer when I use this kit on a '99 MT?

Larry (aka Smoke'n Joe)
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Need Help with a 1999 MT with a Rusty bottom
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 12:24:07 AM »
Yes, the 7409 is the correct sweep. The newer "H" style sweep does not have the slots for the bar and it connects in the leg sockets on the bottom of the bowl rather than to the sweep assembly. The 7409 comes with everything you need to re-attach the ash catcher ring.

To remove the old, just remove the handle (there is a thumb screw at the bottom that will allow it to come out) and if that breaks (common), just dremel it out so it is flush with the nut and the assembly will fall out.

Hope that helps..
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 12:26:37 AM by indy82z »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 03:28:59 AM »
... Does the ash catcher bar (which is still intact but rusty) replace the usual washer.  That is; do I remove the washer when I use this kit on a '99 MT? ...

Yes, you'll have to forgo the washer in my experience. If your hanger bar isn't too bad try to treat the rust. Weber doesn't stock them anymore. (zavad44 here makes a recreation of that bar, in aluminum.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 10:58:22 AM »
Just as I thought.  Enough chat about this issue here on the forum to make it pretty clear, but I was uncertain about the added washer thickness.  Guess I'll just put it on there and tune it by hand.  Thanks all for the help.

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 11:52:55 AM »
Have you found a 7409? Last time I checked they were all gone (and weber no longer makes)

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 12:15:11 PM »
Yes,  my local h/w store was closing out some 'old' shelf items and put them on the SALE rack (a location I tend to check often).  I managed to get the last one.