Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: And this is why we buy Webers  (Read 3820 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
And this is why we buy Webers
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:11:27 AM »
So for those of you who recall I got a great score on a 15 Weber Master-Touch back on Jan on a floor model.

Today @SixZeroFour was kind enough to send me a strap from a fireplace so it can look more natural.

When I took the original handle strap off this is what I found

Called up Weber, shipping out a new lid no questions asked, this is why we purchase and support Weber products.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:14:39 AM by LightningBoldtz »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

SixZeroFour

Re: And this is why we buy Webers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 11:14:36 AM »
Glad to hear you're getting sorted out... Does the new handle strap cover most of the chip once installed?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:58:57 PM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 04:26:15 PM »
I had the exact same problem on my Ranch Kettle. I bought it brand new and discovered a chip in the exact same spot - right where the hole for the handle bolt goes. I never realized it was damaged until I took the handle off one day so I could put vintage wood handles on in place of the plastic ones. I called Weber and they sent out a new lid. The new lid developed the same problem, Weber sent out a second new lid. The second new lid developed the same problem, Weber sent out a third new lid. The third lid developed the same problem, Weber sent out a FOURTH new lid and a special set of washers to go between the handle and the strap. That's what was causing the problem.

I had the first model year (2012) for the new redesigned handles with the higher profile. Apparently, when I was lifting the heavy lid, the strap was placing stress on the enamel right at the hole, causing it to chip and break at that particular spot. The spot was down to bare metal and I feared it would start rusting. I bought the grill brand new as I do with all my Webers and considering the fact I paid full revenue for it, I wanted it right  ...and Weber made it right.

Keep in mind, these are lids for a Ranch Kettle, not a 22.5. Each lid had to be delivered by a freight truck - not cheap. That is exactly why I buy and support Weber products.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 04:40:10 PM »
Special set of washers?

I wonder if I should put some heat proof nomax between it?
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 04:52:51 PM »
Probably those fiber washers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 06:36:29 PM »
Never thought about it before, but even with a 22's lid I can see that area becoming stressed, and maybe with heat, causing the paint to either chip or rust there as the metal flexes a tiny bit.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 12:39:28 AM »
I had the exact same problem on my Ranch Kettle. I bought it brand new and discovered a chip in the exact same spot - right where the hole for the handle bolt goes. I never realized it was damaged until I took the handle off one day so I could put vintage wood handles on in place of the plastic ones. I called Weber and they sent out a new lid. The new lid developed the same problem, Weber sent out a second new lid. The second new lid developed the same problem, Weber sent out a third new lid. The third lid developed the same problem, Weber sent out a FOURTH new lid and a special set of washers to go between the handle and the strap. That's what was causing the problem.

I had the first model year (2012) for the new redesigned handles with the higher profile. Apparently, when I was lifting the heavy lid, the strap was placing stress on the enamel right at the hole, causing it to chip and break at that particular spot. The spot was down to bare metal and I feared it would start rusting. I bought the grill brand new as I do with all my Webers and considering the fact I paid full revenue for it, I wanted it right  ...and Weber made it right.

Keep in mind, these are lids for a Ranch Kettle, not a 22.5. Each lid had to be delivered by a freight truck - not cheap. That is exactly why I buy and support Weber products.

Wow, that's some serious customer service.  With all those lids, I'll have to keep you in mind in case I run across a ranch kettle that's going for cheap because it has a badly dented or missing lid.   ;D

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 12:04:19 PM »

What rubber washers?  Any issues with this?

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 05:36:34 PM »

What rubber washers?  Any issues with this?

I would definitely make sure those washers are suitable for an extremely hot surface such as a grill lid if they are rubber washers? The washers that Weber sent me were specifically designed for the hot surface  temperature of a grill lid. 
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 05:56:50 PM »
I would be worried with those if they are rubber. That lid gets very hot. I was thinking of the washers that came with my WSM.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 06:05:36 PM »
I took them off, not a huge deal, if it happens again I will have weber replace it again and request the heat proof washers.