Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thumb Screw Styles  (Read 3411 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
Thumb Screw Styles
« on: April 08, 2015, 08:32:23 AM »
Take a look at the picture of these two thumb screw styles.  I always assumed the style on the left was original, with the large single hump.  If you go to the HW store, the kind you will generally  find is the "three lines" style pictured on the right.

These specimens came off different "eras" of kettles, and I don't have a great way of knowing if there was a consistent style Weber used, if it changed, etc.

I was suprsied to find the older kettle had the three lines styleand assumed they were simply replaced at soem point.  Now, not so sure.  Thoughts? 

harris92

• WKC Performer
Re: Thumb Screw Styles
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 11:49:16 AM »
Several of my thumbscrew kettles (including the Weber Bros) have what are believed to be the original screws.  They are similar to the one on the right.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 11:55:27 AM »
I have one & I'm sure everything except one rivet I put in the ashpan is original....you can just tell by looking at it.....one on the right, 3 lines.....

Those kind of things would have been from a bulk supplier back then as now, so it's however the current market one is made.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 01:25:50 PM »
So, does nobody have thumbscrews that look like the one on the left?

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 02:06:24 PM »
Nope, mine are like the right as well
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 02:33:23 PM »
Ok,  I double checked and do have something different.  Not exactly like the thumb on the left though.  This thumbscrew is off the crazy Wood Dale I bought from Don the  former accountant for Weber Bros Works. He picked it up off the assembly line in 1958 for $15.00.  Supposedly it had some imperfections.  The grill was all black.  Don was the owner until a couple years ago and said that is the way it came off the assembly line. The bowl tabs are square which makes it pretty early in the Wood dale era. I do need to get the original legs back on the grill (LOL).

Craig

• WKC Mod
Thumb Screw Styles
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 03:24:23 PM »
Here's one of the three thumbscrews that was originally on my grandfathers 18.5 red. (It's like the one on the left side of G$'s photo) The original set has since been moved over  to my '63 Wood Dale and it's this design. (The 18.5 is from 1966-67 era) these are impossible to find now as they all come like the one on the right.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 03:28:13 PM by Craig »

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 04:03:25 PM »

My Wood Dale matches the one on the left.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 05:18:24 AM »
Thanks guys!  I thought I was going nuts.   Seems like the kind on the left was definitely an original style, at least for some period of time.  I have one other confirmed instance of early Wood Dales having the kind on the left that I heard about yesterday.

I sort of think the three line style is what people replaced them with, but it is also possible Weber shipped them that way too.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 05:45:01 AM »
Perhaps there were two (or more) hardware manufacturers providing thumbscrews to Weber.
This week we go through a case of screws from supplier A, next week from supplier B.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 06:08:31 AM »
Thanks guys!  I thought I was going nuts.   Seems like the kind on the left was definitely an original style, at least for some period of time.  I have one other confirmed instance of early Wood Dales having the kind on the left that I heard about yesterday.

I sort of think the three line style is what people replaced them with, but it is also possible Weber shipped them that way too.

Nope....Thumbscrews............ :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 06:16:14 AM »
Perhaps there were two (or more) hardware manufacturers providing thumbscrews to Weber.
This week we go through a case of screws from supplier A, next week from supplier B.

Definitely possible, but I think more likely that scenario  plays out in years not weeks, if it does at all.  I also think we over play the "Weber used whatever the random supplier gave them" card on some of these things. 

Thumb screws rust.  I think a lot of people replaced them over the span of 50 years ......

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 01:50:55 PM »
60's 18.5 in - the three line variety