Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wind Damage!  (Read 2180 times)

JDD

• WKC Ranger
Wind Damage!
« on: March 18, 2015, 12:01:26 PM »
Has anybody come up with a good way to secure premium covers to a kettle? It was super windy here in Chicagoland the other night/day and I lost two premium covers, one 26” and one Performer! This really bums me out because they were very new and not cheap. I even drove around the neighborhood to see if I could find them but no luck. I want to keep my kettles covered but not if I’m going to keep losing covers.
May The Smoke Be With You!

GregS

• WKC Performer
Re: Wind Damage!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 12:19:06 PM »
put a bungee around it once covered. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

order66

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 12:43:07 PM »
Kettles and Pit Barrel Cooker winter in the garage. Summit Gasser stays outside.
+1 on the bungee.
-JDP
| 22.5 Master Touch |22.5 OTG |Pit Barrel Cooker| U-Lime SJS | Kettle Pizza| Akorn Jr. | Big Green Egg | Jumbo Joe | Blackstone Griddle | Pit Boss Classic |

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 01:13:35 PM »
I like the bungee idea and did think about that but could not figure out the best placement. Do you put it around the circumference of the bowl? It will be about a 5 to 6 ft bungee cord around the 26'er.  What about the performer?

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 02:44:58 PM »
Around the waist, like the cool chick's did back in the 80s.

For the perf, just under the table surface.
I only use kettles with lid bales.

Taz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 06:43:42 PM »
Bummer @JDD . What about using some clips attached to a cable wrapped around the triangle?  Maybe like these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LBPFNVY/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_uBJcvb0WT5ZEE. Or, maybe these since they might be able to loop onto the triagle and clip on the cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XGQMG0/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_PyJcvb1WSKDQZ. Both are stainless steel. Amazon has many more, especially not stainless steel.

Also, did you buy those covers within the last 90 days on a credit card?  If so, it might be covered under some insurance benefits some cards offer.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 09:49:18 PM »
Tie a piece of 550 cord around right where the legs meat kettle.

Then pray the whole damn thing dont turn into parachute the next time the wind kicks up.   
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 08:42:27 AM »
I like the bungee and 550 cord idea around the waist and it works well to keep the cover on but what I don't like about it is that they pull the skirt up too high and exposes too much leg. Wait a minute, that does not sound right. I don't mind mini-skirts and exposed legs, as a matter of fact, I like them. In other words, the cover will only protect the bowl with this mini-skirt method.   @Taz has a good idea with the clips which would hold the skirt down over the legs and wheels, as long as the clips are stong enough to hold.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
You can use a grommet kit to install a grommet right at the edge of the cover then bungee underneath the triangle.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 07:49:05 PM »
That is a great idea! I'm sure I can get a cheap grommet kit at home depot. I going first thing in the morning because we are expecting 35 mph winds tomorrow.