Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 26'er is on it's way!  (Read 1650 times)

docchiro

• Smokey Joe
26'er is on it's way!
« on: March 29, 2015, 06:40:36 PM »
Finally made up my mind and pulled the trigger on a 26. I also picked up a maverick double probe and a few other goodies. I almost pulled the trigger on the craycorts too, but figured I should get used to the grill as is before changing it up. One question, I've read a couple comments on the Internet where people are saying that the webers aren't made as well as they used to. I don't really think I've seen those comments here. Is there a quality difference or steel thickness difference? Just asking out of curiosity. I'm definitely excited about my first weber!!

Troy

• Statesman
Re: 26'er is on it's way!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 09:46:40 PM »
WOO, congrats! You will love your new grill.

Regarding quality. I think the metal has gotten a little bit thinner - but I don't think it really affects the quality of the grill.
Some things have changed, and humans naturally reject change. These negative vibes around change usually result in skepticism, and we're all guilty of it.
I thought the bolt on handles were the lamest thing ever. But after handling a few new lids with bolt on handles, they feel solid. If that means less busted welds, less damaged lids during shipping, more modding options, than I for one am all for it.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 12:36:47 AM »
same some $$ for that shiny Cajun Bandit rotisserie ring!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

dcharette

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 02:57:18 AM »
You will love that thing! I'm back in webers after a 20+ hiatus and i didn't feel like the quality has gone away. I have no doubt that if i take care of it well, it will last years....

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 01:29:48 PM »
I bought my 26 about 2 years ago and I love it.  Regarding the metal weight, the lid is actually pretty heavy so I don't know that I would want it thicker.  About the Craycorts (which I love by the way) I think you're smart to hold off for the 26".  The grate on the 26, if I remember correctly, is steel.  Not coated steel, so it's pretty heavy duty.  I also, like it for smoking.  You've got a lot of grill space in the middle and then you can use the flip ups with very little impact to overall real estate. 

Not to say that a Craycort would be a bad idea.  I've been on the fence about getting one for my 26" for sometime now.  Anyway, enjoy the new toy.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 03:55:43 PM »
You will love the 26. The grate is SS and the original in my DE 2009 is still going strong. I use the 26 more than other of the kettles I own. The extra space is really nice for indirect cooking.

docchiro

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 04:59:48 PM »
That's ultimately what made up my mind. I know there isn't much you can't do on the 22, isn't mote always better?! Haha