Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My 18.5" WSM recieved an upgrade today...  (Read 2143 times)

SixZeroFour

My 18.5" WSM recieved an upgrade today...
« on: March 28, 2015, 12:37:59 PM »
A few other folks have used the centre stack in combo with a 18.5" Performer cart but I decided to test fit it onto a 18" OTS I had kicking around. It fit together so well I decided to steal a few other parts and turn it into a gold.

Haven't cooked on this setup yet but will report back on that soon. First impressions are great - love the extra height, the ability to sweep out ash mid cook (Yes, sadly I'm still using up my Kingsford) and most of all the ability to move it around with ease. I'm curious to see how precise the heat control will be with the OT system as opposed to the standard 3 wheeler WSM bowl, but I think it'll work out  8)

Anybody else run a similar setup?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:14:50 PM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: My 18.5" WSM recieved an upgrade today...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 12:45:13 PM »
I had difficulty keeping Temps down.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 12:58:36 PM »
Not a bad idea at all.  Maybe fabricate an EM (expanded metal) basket the same diameter as the charcoal grate.

Then run it with lump using the Minion method.  JM2¢   :D   Should work out.  Waiting for the trial ….  ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 01:09:34 PM »
I think the inherent problem with keeping the temp down is the air coming from underneath and you can't see exactly how much air is coming in. Whereas with the WSM side vents air comes from the side and you can easily see how open you are. For high heat smokes though....I have been thinking about just such a setup for some time.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 01:15:34 PM »
High heat smokes would be easy. 250 was basically not happening for me that day.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 01:21:04 PM »
Hmm...  Wonder if I partially covered over the slots in the bowl somehow to further reduce airflow? Or maybe heat sink like sand in the water pan?
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 01:39:53 PM »
Or maybe heat sink like sand in the water pan?

Water never gets hotter than 212℉ (100℃) … It then turns into steam or vapor.  Sea level being a variable.

Sand in the water pan will get hotter than that.  It builds up heat over time, and will affect your temps in the long run.

Water is a better heat sink than sand.

Plus, sand in the water pan is really f__king heavy. After a few pops, who wants that?!!  ;D ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 05:40:31 PM »
if you're worried about air leakage, just leave a bit of ash in there at all times.

Be careful with rain though, because water will trickle down the middle section and go INSIDE the bowl.
I deal with this all the time with my bandit (only with sprinklers instead of rain)