Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Ash Shovel 7471 Any opinion?  (Read 4514 times)

Hofy

• WKC Brave
Weber Ash Shovel 7471 Any opinion?
« on: March 22, 2015, 10:11:45 AM »
Does anyone have the Weber Ash Shovel 7471?

I know it is for the Smokers, but I figure that it could be useful for the older 3 daisy wheelers. 

The price is low enough I figure I will get one since 2 of my 3 22" grills are daisy wheel.

EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Ash Shovel 7471 Any opinion?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 10:24:07 AM »
I used one to clean out my RK this morning. They do work well for cleaning out the daisy wheelers.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 11:18:48 AM »
Would that not have the potential to scratch?  Dunno.

On my 3-wheeler, I like to go counter-clockwise with a whisk broom, then fine tune the inner part of the daisy wheel with a dish and sink brush.

Everything falls onto the ashpan.  Works great!
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 12:08:40 PM »
Would that not have the potential to scratch?

It's an aluminum scoop. It'll bend or whatever long before anything happens to the kettle. WSM kettles are what it's made for. Some of you guys clean with razor blades ... !

I have one of these, use it on my 18.5" 3-wheeler WITH a whisk broom like MacEggs linked to. I also regularly use the broom on the Performer, because if I relied on just its One Touch to sweep ash I'd be there all day and never get it all moved down into the ashcan.

I also have one of those dish/sink brushes but haven't tried it yet, looks too stiff?

What I'd like to find is a smaller whisk broom. The one like MacEggs and I have is too broad IMO to be easily maneuvered, even inside of a 22.5" kettle.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Weber Ash Shovel 7471 Any opinion?
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 12:34:40 PM »
I actually use both the shovel and a whisk broom. I just sweep the ash into the shovel. I think the risk of scratching is minimal. They are thin and have some give to them.

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 12:46:55 PM »
Ok, this is ordered!  I have always used a whisk broom on my 3 wheelers and Performer so that is what got me to thinking this was a good thing.  Thank you everyone for your input.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 03:51:59 PM »
I also have one of those dish/sink brushes but haven't tried it yet, looks too stiff?

@addicted-to-smoke , they are a bit stiff, but they work great when I am cleaning the daisy wheels from the inside.

I use it once I have removed 99.9% of the ash.
I like to use my one hand to slightly turn the daisy wheel while I am scrubbing it, and the bristles work well at loosening a lot of build-up.
I am not too meticulous about it.  Just don't want the wheels to seize up on me.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 06:06:02 PM »
I own one. They work beautifully on daisy wheeler kettles.. Love mine!

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 03:32:03 AM »
I bought a cheap aluminum cast ice scoop from a restaurant supply store.  Does the same thing and works great  I love having it for two things........emptying my WSM into my ash bucket, and emptying my ash bucket into old charcoal bags so it can go out with the trash.
-Keith

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 11:17:46 AM »
Have it, love it
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 01:28:41 PM »
Looks great for scooping ash out of my smoker (Wapiti) and Ranch (Roswell).  $12.99 on Amazon Prime - should be here tomorrow.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.